Squier P-bass at pawn shop

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickster4003, Nov 2, 2013.

1. rickster4003

rickster4003

Saw a blue squire P-Bass at the pawn shop for $90. They were willing big time to deal, could probably get down to $60. I wouldn't mind getting it to experiment with - I would like to pull the frets, fill in, and epoxy to make a fretless. The only problem is the neck is really bent, the action was about 1/2" high. I would assume as long as the truss rod works that could be dialed down to straighten out the neck, but it seemed excessive for simply adjusting. I am wondering if the rod sounds like it is broken. Any one with some experience on these low cost buys with some info would be appreciated.

Thanks - Ed

2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I have set up basses that were so screwed up that I couldn't believe anyone could even play them, so it completely plausible that the neck on that bass is ok. Ask them if they would be willing to let you turn the truss rod to see if its ok.

3. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

I just bought a used Squier MB5 from Craigslist a couple of days ago- body in good shape, but the neck was bowed like crazy! Strings were about 1/2" inch high at the middle of the bass- made it extremely tough to try out. I looked at the truss rod cover screw and saw that it had never been touched. Good sign that the truss rod had not been touched, and overadjusted by the owner- (he actually did not know how to fix the neck, so did not touch it and decided to sell it) . I thought I'd take the risk (for $100)- I was feeling lucky. After some adjustment, and noticing that there didn't seem to be any tension on the truss rod at all (did the factory forget something?) tightened it and I got it to a much more realistic (actually normal ) string height. I did some fine adjusting earlier today and got it very low which is the way I like to play it. Seems to hold and play fine.
    I would probably point that neck out to the pawn shop and that you're taking a chance on perhaps buying a bass with a broken truss rod, offer to pay $40.
    You can then try to adjust it, if the truss rod is indeed broken, you can always replace the neck and maybe even a fretless one at that.

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I am with Hopkins, it is a Squier Affinity, there is an extremely high chance the owner never set it up, didn't play it for years, and then pawned it. It could be perfectly fine. If you cannot adjust you don't want to buy it anyways.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rickster4003

rickster4003

Thanks guys. That is a good idea to see if they will let me adjust the rod. I figured I would deal a price with the buy dependent on if the truss rod works.