1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Squier P Bass pots and pickups upgrade

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mcgannahan, Dec 4, 2012.

1. mcgannahan

mcgannahan

Hello,

My first post here. I'm really a guitar guy, but I have a 1990s-something Squier P-Bass I picked up some time ago and I'd like to do something with it. Thinking I'd like to upgrade the pickups and pots and would appreciate it if you guys could point me in the right direction. I'm thinking about the Original 62s for the pickups. For the pots I'm not really sure. I see some P-Bass wiring kits on Ebay but they are listed as being for American or MIM basses and I believe I would need metric? Not sure if there's already a good metric wiring kit out there.

thanks!

Rick

P.S. Okay, I found this thread which is informative, but still would appreciate any advice you have. Let it not be said I didn't use the search button!
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f18/upgrading-squier-p-bass-769190/

2. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

The 62 RI are great pup. You could try SD basslines if you want a more aggressive tone. You need to buy CTS pots prob 250k but check to see if they are not 500k and a switchcraft jack. solder it up and you are good to go. As for metric??? You need a small amount of wire..inches.

3. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

I just put Duncan Quarter Pounders in mine and I'm quite pleased with the sound. If you set them as low as possible they sound like vintage with some extra girth. I should add that I have only used TI Jazz Flats with it so that may have a lot to do with the sound that I'm getting.

The 62s are great. Not as fat as the QPs.

4. soulman969

soulman969

Another pickup option for you would be the Bill Lawrence/Wilde P46 for $60. All of their bass and guitar pickups are incredible.

http://www.wildepickups.com/Bass_Pickups.html

I think it's the best value in a boutique PBass pickup on the market. It's the one I use in my PBass and there will soon be a set of J45s in my Jazz Bass.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Tense Zombie

Tense Zombie

+1; just put the 62 RI in my no-name fake P bass. Fender really nailed it with this pickup, and on sale it's only about $60.

I've had luck with a tip from another TB'er; went with a 250K volume but a 500K tone pot. I forget what Duncan recommends for the QP, but it will be on their website in the wiring diagrams.

I think the "metric" may refer to pot shaft diameter; Alpha pots are slightly off in size from the 1/4" shafts on CTS or Bourns pots. No big deal either way; on a P-bass, you may have to ever-so-slightly enlarge the holes on your pickguard.

Man, I'm happy for you. I've re-built about 5 instruments and I'm hooked. Let us know how it comes out!