1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Squier Precision 5-String Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassist4dalord, May 14, 2011.

1. bassist4dalord

bassist4dalord

Hello all! I have decided that it is time for a Squier Standard Precision Special V Club! They are somewhat rare (that is, I don't see them very often at all) and they are quite nice basses. I own one from 2001, and I'm sick of only finding them sporadically on TB. They are fantastic basses and I know there are a few owners lurking here.

So stand up and be counted (literally; I will be assigning numbers)! Share with us any pertinent stories, modifications , and thoughts about these basses. I'm really interested in hearing about your modifications; I want to modify mine, but I need to gather ideas.

Post away! I'll take #1.

[​IMG]
  2. ThaLowEndTheory

ThaLowEndTheory

I have a Pro Tone Squier P 5. I love it! I've been looking to scoop up another at a decent price, but haven't come across one yet. I also have the body from one and plan to get a replacement neck and throw in some active pickups. Here's my beauty.

[​IMG][​IMG]
  3. pedulla-2007

pedulla-2007 Supporting Member

I have one of each, but I am torn between bastardizing each, or leaving them alone or selling them. I have played them both professionally, and would be superb with a electronics/pickup upgrade.
  4. bassist4dalord

bassist4dalord

Aha! I had forgotten about the Pro Tone Squier- The Original 5-String P. Very nice! Never played on; bet it sounds great!! Those pickups look like a non-traditional (read- difficult to find replacements) size. Is it passive?

Keep 'em comin!

TheLowEndTheory- #2

pedulla-2007- Did you want a number?
  5. ThaLowEndTheory

ThaLowEndTheory

Yea, it's passive. I have a set of EMG sized duncans, but the routes are just a little bit bigger than those. Worst case I'll make some covers from flamed maple to use over a set of standard jazz sized pickups.
  6. Billy K

Billy K

Black Stealth Squier. 2011.I thought about changing everything out but the freaken pickups are great. Louder than my Hyw.1/P or Delux Jazz American Standard.Or the Aerodyne. I saw him take it out the box at the store so it is not modded.Wow loud ass pickups.The tone pot could be better but the 2 volume pots have lots of range

Attached Files:

7. pedulla-2007

pedulla-2007 Supporting Member

Would like #3 please. I have 3 Squier's including a active deluxe jazz. I am proud to own each of these basses.
  8. bassist4dalord

bassist4dalord

Just to clarify: this club is for 5-String Squier Precision Basses. Billy, that bass looks amazing, but I'm looking for the Precision-style. Thanks for posting, anyway!

There is a Squier Owner's Club. Search and it should come up :)
  9. bassist4dalord

bassist4dalord

pedulla-2007- #3

Welcome!
  10. KingRazor

KingRazor

That's no P bass...it's a space station...

Seriously, what are those Jazz pups doing in there?
  11. Marton

Marton

Are those basses heavy in general ? I would like to get one someday...
  12. Oldboy

Oldboy

Here's mine.This is the 2nd one of these I've had.The first one was rubbish,but this is completely different.Nice tight 'B',good volume balance,far nicer finish (the first one was green).I don't find it too heavy,but that neck is w-i-d-e.I've added the Artec SE2A pre amp,so she's active now.Gives master volume,treble and bass boost/cut and pan control.

Hey!Where'd my pics go??
  13. bassist4dalord

bassist4dalord

Yeah, mine isn't THAT heavy. I'd say in the 9.5 lbs range. However, my other Squier is more like 8 lbs, so it feels heavier.

KingRazor- My bass is stock. In the early 2000s, Squier introduced this model. It's a 5-string (obviously) with two humbucking pickups (CHEAP ones at that) that are both 3.725", which, IIRC, is the measurement for a standard Fender 4-string bridge pickup. The pickups are a blade-style, in that there are no individual coils- it's more like a long coil spanning all strings. The controls are typical V/V/T. The B-string is MUCH quieter than the other four strings, at least on mine (anyone else had this experience?)

I'm looking at upgrading the pickups. Ideally, I'd like to rout it and put in some Nordstrand Big Splits or Big Singles, but that would be quite a project (expensive, too) so I'm also considering DiMarzio Area J 5-string pickups, which, theoretically, should drop right in. When I get new pickups, I would like to get a series/parallel installed, but we'll see.

Oldboy- #4- Nice bass! I like that color. The neck is probably the #1 factor that made me walk out of GC with mine. I LOVE it.
  14. KingRazor

KingRazor

When I think P bass, I think a single split coil pickup in the neck position. If I had one of these I'd probably want to mod it like that. Would probably leave the bridge pickup in there for some extra tonal options.

But, then again, when it comes to 5-strings I'm more of an Ibanez guy anyway.
  15. bassist4dalord

bassist4dalord

Yeah, that's something else I dream of: Nordstrand NP5 in the neck position, Big Split in the bridge. Maybe, someday...
  16. michael_g

michael_g

Count me in. Here comes mine.

Attached Files:

• 028.jpg
      028.jpg
      File size:
      379.2 KB
      Views:
  17. bassist4dalord

bassist4dalord

michael_g- #5

Whoo!! 5 members!!

A question to those of you who rock it stock: any notice of the B-string being quieter than the other 4 strings?
  18. bgmww

bgmww

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Hiwatt UK
    don't give me a #.. but i'm gassing one of these basses. Hope to get one in the near future
  19. lbanks

lbanks

Number please.
    [​IMG]
  20. bassist4dalord

bassist4dalord

lbanks- #6

Nifty color on that one.