1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Squier Precision re-build

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DogOn2Legs, Mar 20, 2014.

1. DogOn2Legs

DogOn2Legs

I have acquired a Squire P bass for next to nothing and have completely striped it down to bare wood.
    I have a "BadassII" bridge (courtesy of a buddy} but looking for input for the rest of the hardware and electronics.
    I'm leaning towards Duncan Quarter Pound pups, GraphTech nut and Spurzel machines.
    Any thoughts, personal experiences will be appreciated.
    I know, I'll never get my money out of it.....don't care.....I want to learn to build a guitar.
    I'm a carpenter and my goal is to learn enough to build a bass out of one piece of wood
    I've been out of music for 25-30 years but now I have the time and a little money to spare.....what better use of both!

2. audioglenn

audioglenn Gold Supporting Member

Well, a Squier P and a Badass II bridge are a great start. I've got a good number of Squier P and J basses that I've modded and have had great success with all of them All of the additional parts you listed are good choices. If you want the classic Fender P sound, go with a Duncan SPB 1 pickup. If you want a more aggressive sound, go with the Duncan SPB 3. Both of them sound great! I've never used the Sperzel machine heads, so I can't comment on them. You should use either CTS or Bourns pots, Orange Drop capacitor and a Switchcraft output jack for the electronics. Be sure to connect a ground wire from the bottom of the bridge to the back of one of the pots. Otherwise, it will hum like crazy. Are you planning on painting the body? If you are, be sure you do the proper prep work. There are loads of threads on this site concerning painting a bass.

I understand why you want to take on this project. It's the same reason I started. I've been having a great time! Have a good time and if you have any questions, Talkbass is a great resource.

3. audioglenn

audioglenn Gold Supporting Member

I almost forgot...welcome to Talkbass!

4. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

The Sperzel tuners have a small diameter shaft and require a 9/16" hole. They wont work with an 11/16" tuner hole like Fender uses. Also they would look kind of funny on a F style headstock. Grover makes an excellent tuner for a good price price, Hipshot is more expensive but they are top notch.

The SPB-3 is one of those pickups that you either love or hate. Personally I am in the hate it category. Its very boomy down low, harsh and brittle on the high end and mid scooped. The SPB-2 is a better sounding pickup in my opinion, but the SPB-1 is my favorite.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DogOn2Legs

DogOn2Legs

thanks for the input, Glenn.
    As far as the finish, I've sanded to 400 and the surface is flat. I'll be shooting the sand/sealer for a nitro "vintage" looking off white/cream color this weekend.
    The body and headstock face will be gloss color and the neck will be clear nitro satin.
    I'm gonna mask off the neck pocket, base of the neck and under the bridge to leave them bare wood. I read somewhere that the "tone-acholics" claim it helps the tone and sustain.....

7. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

I'm sort of in the middle. I like the SPB-3 with flats; it sounds really deep and rich. But with anything other than flats, I don't care for it.

Now the SPB-1? There's a really versatile, great-sounding pickup.

8. DogOn2Legs

DogOn2Legs

Wow, thanks for the reply's Hopkins and Arvin....I gotta go with Duncan's.....Seymour is also involved in my other passion.....sailing!
    Funny about the Sperzel's.....only reason I mentioned them is I bought a set off Craig's List for my Squier Strat and like 'em but I had to enlarge those holes....go figure!