???SQUIER TELECASTER OR EPIPHONE EB3???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ChessTiger, Oct 27, 2013.

1. ChessTiger

ChessTiger

:help: Which one should I choose?:help:

First a short history: I've been playing bass for a little over a year. I've been taking lessons at the local music shop (The B String) over this period of time.

I mainly enjoy playing classic rock, blues and blues rock...:bassist:

My son and I will be visiting either a Guitar Center or Sam Ash in the Charlotte, NC area. I plan on purchasing either a Squier Telecaster OR Epiphone EB3 (If I had the $$ both would be coming home with me). But I can only afford one or the other :bawl:

I'd like posters to opine which of these machines would be best.

Thanks in advance for those who respond.
  2. BrianToska

BrianToska

If it were me I would go with the squier. I had the epiphone and I couldn't get past the horrible neck heaviness. The electronics in mine barely worked also. And to be honest I didn't like the pickups either. I guess the only thing I did like about it was that it looked pretty.
  3. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

every epi eb bass ive tried has always been crap. definitely would not go with that. crap tone, crap feel, crap hardware. I haven't played any of the squire telecaster basses (not sure which you are speaking of) but I hold squire in high regards, definitely higher than epiphone
  4. Immigrant

Immigrant

There's a chance the Tele might dive a little as well.

It's hard to compare those two basses if the Tele you're referring to is the one with the convention Tele-style body similar to the guitar, not the old Tele bass. The EB-3 is a 34" scale, the Tele 32".

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I have a an EB-0 that the previous owner modded with an added bridge pup and selector switch. It's not too bad.

If I was in the market and choosing between those two, it would be the Tele because I'm a sucker for medium scale basses plus I've heard a lot of good thing about the build quality in various threads here. And I'd get the two pup model.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ShonenCello

ShonenCello

I thought the Tele had a good sound.

Didn't like the EB-3 at all. (love my Eb-0 though)
  7. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

8. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Squier.

I have the 1-pu model and it is great; assume you're talking about the 'special' with the mudbucker/jazz pups - guessing that the build is the same, so the bass will play well.

Also had the EB-3 - got it as a Christmas present. Gave it away gratis by New Year's day because it was a POS on every level.
  9. Dave Curran

Dave Curran Lilduke Supporting Member

The 1 pickup is the EB-o short scale. 2 Pickups is the EB-3 Long scale. I have not played the EB-0 But I owned the EB-3 , and traded it on a VM telecaster bass. I loved the fat sound of the EB-3, but I couldn't lower the action anymore and it was HIGH. The neck dive was terrible. The tele has a vintage single coil pickup and sounds very p-bass ish. There is 0 neck dive, you let go and the neck stays put, or with slippery strap it almost levels out. The action is very low, intonation is right on, and the neck is .012".

[​IMG]
  10. russpurdy

russpurdy Supporting Member

11. RED J

RED J Play what you want how you want & quit arggerin ! Supporting Member

SG bodies with 34" necks are a neck diving abomination IMHO. (short arms. ) I've never played the Squier but would give it a shot sight unseen over the EB-3 which I have played.
    I have an EB-0 short scale I modded with two NOS Guild Humbuckers and it's sweet, it's like an Eb-3 with a much broader tonal range with no dive.. SG and Mudbucker equipped basses seem to be a love it or hate it item. Since you'll be trying them out, grab the one that fits and speaks to you.