1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Squier to Fender Mexican worth it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KitBass, Feb 2, 2013.

1. KitBass

KitBass

Been looking to upgrade from my Squier J-bass to a Fender Standard Mexican made J-bass, just wondering if it's worth it or if I should wait until I can afford a USA Made?
  2. renyzen

renyzen

IMO just save up for an Am. Std.
  3. mystic38

mystic38

in truth, only you can answer that.

it wont make you a better player, and it wont attract the chicks, and given the question was very budget conscious, I personally would say, no, dont do it. You will lose money on the squire and ultimately, lose money (more than likely) on the MIM.

I would say save your cash and when you can afford it, find a good used MIA bass.. chances are that it will never be worth less than what you paid for it.
  4. KitBass

KitBass

Okay yeah that seems to be the most common opinion among people I've asked so far, looks like i'll have to wait.
    cheers guys.
  5. TexasTodd

TexasTodd

I love my MIM P Bass. I upgraded to SD Quarter Pound pickup. No plans to upgrade to Am. Std.

IMHO my MIM plays as good as an Am. Std. I've played.
  6. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

Depends on the Squier, in my opinion. If you are talking about moving from a nice VM or CV passive Squier to a passive MIM you may not find it to be much of an upgrade. If you have an Affinity then you are more likely to find your money to have been well spent. But I don't think you have to go all they way to an MIA to find a worthwhile upgrade. The higher end MIM basses will be an upgrade over any Squier I have tried. I love my Reggie Hamilton and Deluxe Active Jazz basses. Squier offers nothing like them.

Ken
  7. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

try to play some MIM and MIA (or MIJ or whatever) Fender basses and see if the difference is worth it to YOU.
  8. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

I have had Squier Affinities, and CV's, and currently have Squier Standards and a VM ... I also have a current model MIM Standard Jazz and an early MIM Classic Series 60's Jazz ... I will play both the MIM Standard and the CS out before the Squiers in almost all cases ... with that said, every bass I have has its place and a function ... the lone VM is the lightest bass I have, and the Standards are my test beds for new strings ... none is a dud by any means, although I did go through several to find the ones I have ...

... bottom line, as mentioned, only you can say if it is worth it or not, especially since no two of any model will be identical so it is tough to rely on any one elses comparison and opinion ...

.. if possible, keep what you have so you can compare for yourself .. its an education in itself when you start A/B or A/B/C/D'ing side by side ... unfortunately, there is no other way to economically do it than to bite the bullet and buy several basses, and use them in your own situation ... buying used will help the bite though .. JMHO
  9. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

+1 to this. The Squier CVs are nice, but once you hit the MIM Classic and Road Worn series, it becomes almost a no-contest. That being said, a MIM Classic/Road Worn to a MIA Standard or Special doesn't feel too big of an upgrade either IMO. But as others have said, buy used. A used MIM Classic/RW will go around $450-700, then a used MIA Special/Standard will go from $650-900. Good luck!
  10. PWRL

PWRL Supporting Member

The new MIMs are fantastic instruments. However, I recommend going out and playing everything you're interested in, then making your own decision.
  11. unclebass

unclebass

Are you getting another bass to get a better player, or are you doing it as an investment for resale? The Deluxe Active Jazz Bass and Blacktop Jazz Bass both play great and are less than MIA bass. In fact, I found them both to be more comfortable to play than the MIA. Plus, I still have cash left in my pocket. If you are upgrading to get a better player, who really cares where it is made? It only matters if you are concerned about what someone else will pay you for it if you don't like it. If you're getting it to keep and play, get what plays and sounds best to YOU!! If it sounds great, you'll be keeping it for a long time!
  12. pica

pica

That depends on which Squier you have. If you have the Affinity Series Squier then IMO yes a MIM Fender will definitely be an upgrade. I have a VM Jazz and it sounds as good if not better then some MIM Fenders.
  13. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

save up for a Fodera!:bag:
  14. Jayson

Jayson

As with any instrument, the price often doesn't matter- what matters is that it's right for you. Personally, the best feeling guitar I have ever played is my lead guitarist's MIM Strat, which he got for $300. With instruments I would always play before I bought, and if a specific bass just feels like "it", go for it, regardless of price tag or model :)
  15. klejst

klejst

If you are currently using a Affinity series Squier J then I would say most MIM's would be a good upgrade from that. I have owed a good share of MIM Fender basses and have had great luck with them and they sounded great too. If everything is good with the MIM you are checking out and you want to upgrade now I would say if go for the MIM, however if you are ok waiting, saving and spending a little more then wait and get a American made J.

I have heard many say and with a few of the MIM's I owned they did sound as good if not a little better then some MIA's I have played and also like with anything you can get "duds" no matter MIM or MIA. It's all personal preference and true only you can decide what you want to do in the end.
  16. atomicdog

atomicdog

It's worth it to upgrade to an MIM. But don't but it mail order. Find a store with a good selection and try out a few and pick the best one. The Am Std line, IMO, is overrated and overpriced (and I own some). The MIMs get an undeserved bad rap on TB.
  17. steamthief

steamthief

As stated above, depends on the MIM. Classic Series and Roadworns are a serious upgrade from any Squier. YMMV
  18. PWRL

PWRL Supporting Member

FWIW, I just got a new MIM and it's killer.
  19. Zoomie

Zoomie Supporting Member

I think it's all relative, meaning that it depends on the Squier and it depends on the MIM.

Of those that I have played/owned, I do believe that it is slightly easier to find a superior MIM versus a Squier.

I would shoot for anything made in the last couple of years. Tone and neck stability are far greater in both cases.

Please understand that I am not disrespecting Squiers. I have heard a few in the region that sound simply amazing in the mix.

In the end, only you can decide if it's that much better.