1. Welcome to the premier online community and classifieds for bass players!

Register a free account to post, remove lots of ads, and more!

Squier value

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mdogs, Mar 26, 2014.

1. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Cary, Il
    Can anyone give me relative value on one of these? Unfortunately, this is the only picture I have right now:

Attached Files:

2. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    Probably around 300, give or take.

3. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Cary, Il
  4. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    Some of those were going real cheap a few years ago ($100-150), not certain what they bring now, but many that have them really like them, especially if they got them at that price ... these came out of the Cor-Tek plant, usually have 'Licensed by Schaller' stamped on the machines ... many of these also had 'laminate' bodies (or some call plywood), the one I had did (I think it was a year or two newer than this) ...

... what is the asking price?

Edit to add: ... the neck on the one I had was incredible ... everything else, other than being very light was nothing special at all, body was actually starting to de-laminate (I think they were asking $125 for it and I paid $90-95 at a MI swap meet in St Paul) ... if you are a P guy, I would look very hard at one, just for the neck in the right price range ...

5. Sponsored by:

6. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    More photos would help.

Some old Squiers aren't half bad - but some are just firewood. It's really hard to tell what you have there without a bit more information.

7. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    It is worth no more than $100.00 to $150.00 in good shape I wouldn't touch one for $300.00.

8. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    +1 more on the $150 side if it's in good shape. It's made in Korea not Japan which would have bumped it up quite a bit more. Made by what is now Cort.

9. When you consider you can get a new Squier P for ~ $300 (and they're good players), I'd say $150 tops.

10. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Cary, Il
    The asking price is $110, so no bargain...

11. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    That bass is an absolute steal at $110. I'd be all over it at that price. Those old Squier series Fenders play every bit as well as the Mexican Fenders.

12. Miskatonic

Miskatonic

Sep 15, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Yeah, if you can get a good feeling and sounding bass for $110, how is that not a good deal?

13. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    If it is local to you, I think it is certainly worth your time to check it out ... for education purposes if nothing else ... I think I sold the neck from the one I had for around $100-110 .. unfortunately, the body was pretty much a give away item with it de-laminating ... after having one, I dont think I would buy it sight unseen unless the money was not a concern for you ... very seldomly is an education free ... JMHO

14. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    $110? I'd like to know how the rest of the bass looks like. If in good condition it very well might be a good deal. As mentioned above by tjh- worth a look if nearby.

Besides, it's a FENDERsquier How many Squiers have that distinction from a historical perspective?;)

15. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    My bad, thought it was a mexican model. My apologies. I feel really dumb now.

16. SamFreeman

SamFreeman

Mar 26, 2014
  17. RED J

RED J Play what you want how you want & quit arggerin ! Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2000
    Tennessee
    Don't... I thought it was a black label Squier series when it doesn't have a black label logo duh duh duh. :rollno:

18. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Halethorpe, MD
    Don't fell really dumb; just feel dumb 'cause you LEARNED something!

19. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Squiers seem to vary WILDLY in quality - there are several build lines, from cheap student / beginner types all the way to pretty nice quality quasi Fender types.

Those MIK Squiers, from my experience, vary too - some are nice, some are firewood. It all depends, ya know?