Squier Vintage Modified Jazz/P Users

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shawshank72, Sep 18, 2013.

1. shawshank72

shawshank72

I loved playing both these basses, the natural p w/ maple neck and the jazz w/ maple neck.
    I loved everything about them except the pickups.
    Was wondering if any users have swapped them out and with what?
    Success? Failure?

2. PazzoBasso

PazzoBasso

I hated that too...

3. shawshank72

shawshank72

Lol. Sorry hit button before i was done. Edited it.

4. Batmensch

Batmensch

Not me, I love the sound of the stock pickups on both of mine. Wouldn't dream of swapping them out.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. PazzoBasso

PazzoBasso

Ahhh the pups...

I don't know if I love or hate the Duncan Designed stuff & I can only comment on the Jazz... but...

Sounded pretty dead & thuddy with the factory strings (I should have experimented with string changes)...

I ended up installing an Audere preamp (not much better, but it enabled me to get a larger variety of thuds). Eventually, I swapped the maple body for an ash (mighty might) Jazz & changed the strings to some generic stainless rounds... It's not a bad sounding bass now, but can get "harsh" & "zingy" - not in a good way...

I don't know if it's all down to the pickups, but I prefer the sound of my stock Classic Vibe Jazz - sometimes run though an outboard Sadowsky preamp.

7. Thrash3r

Thrash3r

I'm not a fan of the stock pickups either, I've got a VM P as a backup so it's got the EMG's as my main bass, definitely not the pickups to go for if you want the classic P sound, much more modern sounding as you'd expect from active pickups, sounds great to me.

8. shawshank72

shawshank72

9. Scott Sauna

Scott Sauna

At one point I considered getting a Seymour Duncan QP for my VM P but I decided that the Duncan designed pickups had their own character and it suited the look of the bass pretty well.

10. Bobster

Bobster

I've got a Jazz VM 5 and replaced the stock pickups with Lollars.

I'm MUCH happier.

Bob

11. mplsgetscold

mplsgetscold

i just bought one of these. maple body sunburst, maple neck with black block inlays and black binding.

i love how it plays and it sounds great unplugged but my E is a little muddy. i'm replacing the bridge with a nicer gotoh and i'm eventually gonna get some dimarzio model j's put in.

after searching through the threads, i concluded that the model j pups were the best for quality to price ratio. they're relatively cheap and other j bass players seem to love them.

12. stelios82k

stelios82k

I have the same bass I installed dimarzios dp123 set with cts pots and orange drop cap and I am much more satisfied. Duncan designed pickups seemed too bright. Dimarzios have tighter bottom end. Though stock pickups are not bad. Just different.

13. mplsgetscold

mplsgetscold

I just replaced the bridge on mine this weekend. Much better sustain.

14. shawshank72

shawshank72

15. marko138

marko138

I like the sound of my VM jazz natural finish, but the output is very low.

I also put DR hi-beams on it.

16. Troph

Troph

The "Duncan Designed" VM Jazz pickups are excellent stock pickups for a budget bass.

I seem to recall some measurements which compare them very favorably to vintage 70s J pickups in terms of frequency response, in fact. Make sure the pickup height is correct, add some good strings, and feed the signal through the right internal or external preamp and you're in business!

I don't know much about the corresponding P pickups.

17. Batmensch

Batmensch

^^^ Me , I really like the DD pickup(s) on my Amber VM P and natural J. The P has that distinct full Precision tone that I was looking for, and not thin sounding at all, (like I've heard one or two people claiming), and the sound of the J is just as full.

18. godblender

godblender Supporting Member

Personally I love the DD pickups in my VM Jazz. I slightly prefer the Duncan Designed pickups on my VM Jazz over the Fender CS 60's pickups on the American Std. Jazz that I owned.

19. Systolic

Systolic

Didn't love the pickup in the P. Replaced it with a Lindy Fralin. I'll never sell that bass now.

Had the fretless J, i found the pickups to be way to noisy. Sold it.

20. Troph

Troph

Interesting. I haven't noticed them to be any noisier than other single-coils I own. I did have to add some shielding, as the conductive paint in the pickup cavities was not very even.

Also, I have the maple VM J, which has a pickguard, so I also added foil shielding underneath the pickguard to surround the neck pickup. On the fretless you don't have that option I suppose. I could see where that could make a difference.

21. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

I got a Squier P in the natural finish, and swapped the neck out for a VM jazz neck - near perfection, for me. A great bass just as is, wearing Sunbeam rounds.

However, I have a shelf full of pickups and I started using it as a test bed, swapping them out just to experiment. The stock ones were really the best until I put in the Fralins - and WOW! The bass came alive and is now just fantastic.

It is strange - I have tried the Fralins in several other basses and did not like them, but in the Squier P, they are magic.

Attached Files: