Squier Vintage Modified Precision Bass PJ

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GregT, Mar 8, 2014.

1. GregT

GregT

I was hoping some of you had bought one of these and could give me your firsthand opinions of them. I am considering getting one. I know the Vintage Modified gets great reviews, but this is the one model that I think looks best for me. It is the one with the PJ configuration. And it comes in red which is what all my best guitars are.

Yes, I did search for threads on this exact model and have read all I could find. If you want to list all the threads on this I couldn't find, please feel free to do so and I will read those.
  2. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

Definitely a good buy. Any classic vibe squier or vintage modified.
  3. GregT

GregT

I really do want to try the Vintage Modified PJ. I was just hoping someone had one and could give their impression. It seems like most go for the Jazz in the Vintage Modified.
  4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

I got a sunburst one a while ago and love it. The only things I've done to it so far are a 60's reissue tort pickguard and a set of DR flatwounds. The pickups are good enough to use in a studio (which I have done with compliments from the engineer) but not good enough that I don't want to replace them anyways. The neck pickup soloed sounds like you'd expect a P to sound, the J bridge sounds like what you'd expect that to sound like. Can't complain about that!

It's a more modern Precision neck profile, not the old baseball bat, which I appreciate. Setup was decent out of the box and I only had to do some truss rod tweaking and bridge settings - no fretwork! The body is quite light and the tuners are a little heavy, so as far as Fenders go it's a little more neck divey than most but still not bad.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. GregT

GregT

Thank you. That sounds like about what I am looking for.
  7. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant Supporting Member

I just bought a VM Precision. Frets did not need leveling, but the ends were not finished well - they were long and sharp. Less than an hour with a Stewmac fret file fixed that. The Duncan Designed P pickup seems to be hotter than the pickup on my '08 Am Std P. No big deal, I just set it a little farther from the strings. I put on a set of Sadowsky flats (the .040 - .100 ones) and did a setup. The neck profile is nearly identical to the modern Am Std P and the overall sound and playability is also nearly identical. I am mega-pleased with my new backup bass!
  8. geeza

geeza

Disclosures:
    Huh?
    For $299, you get a lot for your money.
  9. Hank Scorpio

Hank Scorpio

I like the neck on mine - it's very thin front to back, yet quite comfortable, and the gloss hasn't gotten 'sticky' or slowed my playing. Had the fretboard rolled and fret finish tidied up a little, but it was pretty good out the box. The P pup sounds much better than the J to my ears; I changed it to a 3 way switch with one vol & one tone, and find myself still mostly soloing the P. May stick a different J pup in, or swap both to a matched set.

As mentioned above, the body is very light, and the tuners are the standard Squier weight, so it has a tendency to dive slightly, this was easily sorted with a good strap.

It's a nice instrument, all in all. Ideal backup for me at the moment, and if they made a model with a maple board, I'd own two of these basses right now.

EDIT: Incidentally, it's the CAR finish, and it really does look nice.
  10. GregT

GregT

11. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Lots of folks with opinions in this thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/new-squier-vm-series-part-2-a-1023147/

I have the sunburst p/j and love it, it's my main gigging bass. I put on new strings out of the box and it was good to go. My only issue with it was that touch of neck dive mentioned above. I installed a set of Hipshot ultra light tuners (including an xtender on the E string), and it hangs perfectly now, but a strap with texture on the inside would probably be fine.
  12. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I bought the lake placid blue one for a bass to keep at work. I have a big vintage/USA collection of basses. The VM Precision is a great bass regardless of price.
  13. SteveV74

SteveV74

Squier makes good basses, some are beginner cheapo models, and I mentioned this in some threads before, I had the PetebWentz p bass and it played like a dream and sounded vicious, go for it.
  14. elBandito

elBandito

Had some bill lawrence pick ups lying around, so I bought one of these to play with. Seems like it's not very popular around here yet?
  15. bass71

bass71

Just bought one in LPB.
    It really does seem a heck of a lot of bass for the money.....but. Had to shim the neck to get a playable action, no real biggy, and one of the bridge screw holes was stripped which I fixed with a few wood slivers. Anyway it's light weight and sounds fantastic, especially the bridge pickup which is wonderfully burby.
    All it needs now is a mint green pick guard....mmm
    Hank Scorpio likes this.
  16. Hank Scorpio

Hank Scorpio

Seems strange to me, mine is a great bass - probably the best Squier I've owned, and I've had a few pass through.

Enjoy, bass71! Post some pics if possible, would like to see the LPB in the wild, as it were.
  17. bass71

bass71

Working on some pics will post as soon as there done. Reckon its a bit darker than the Fender lpb but still nice tho..
  18. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I didn't have to shim my neck, I got the action set super low. Every time I pull this bass out it amazes me.
  19. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

My carvin pj is going to cost a lot more and the crowd probably won't know the difference, that's being real
  20. Hank Scorpio

Hank Scorpio

Mine had low action out the box, no buzzing, and took a setup well.

Then I switched out another Squier VM neck, strung it up, and the action was even lower than when I got it.

I'm starting to believe the body may be a little bit magic, cause that second part has NEVER happened to me before.
  21. bass71

bass71

Here's a pic for anyone interested in the colour. I fitted a ratty old vintage bridge as the string spacing is narrower on the HM bridge.

Attached Files:

• PJ.jpg
      PJ.jpg
      File size:
      2 MB
      Views: