Squier VM Jag bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Natman, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Natman

Natman

Hey guys,

Newbie here with a VM Jaguar looking to upgrade pickups. I have had lots of experience swapping pickups in guitars over the years but this is my first bass. I generally find high(er) end pickups are well worth the investment. While the stock Duncan Designed are ok (especially the P which is not half bad) I'm sure I can do better.

First off, I HATE the J hum. Somehow the 60 Hz background seems more acceptable in a guitar. I like the J tone but I'm not a purist, so what's out there?

I already bought a Sentell Jazz Blade off ebay, mainly because it looks cool. It has an alnico 3 bar magnet, but it still a single coil. Tone is fine (better than the stock ceramic DD), but output is too low for the hot P in the neck. Which brings me to my second point:

Is there a good P/J set with a silent J with balanced output?

I (briefly) considered Alumitones because I think chrome would look boss and they're totally silent, but reviews are mixed and they're getting hard to find, not to mention pricey.

This is a low end bass obviously and my chops are nothing to write home about yet, but I love modding and I hear the improvements even if no one else does. What do you recommend? I'm not ready to drop big money on Fralins for example. The pickups would equal what I paid for the bass!

2. Cadfael

Cadfael

Mearsure the J Pu!!!
    Squier sometimes uses neck sized Js for the bridge position!
    You find the inch measurements of neck and bridge on the SD website and other sites.
    Check your J PU! Does it have neck or bridge size?

Well ...
    The DiMarzio PJ set has been a classic set for nearly 40 years ...
    Maybe you need to take the P plus a neck J to fit your Squier bass ...

3. h2otorched

h2otorched

I installed EMG's P/J set into a 78 MusicMan Sabre Bass, and I loved the sound.
    Preferred it to the original MM pups. Dead quiet, balanced between pups. Hifi!

4. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

h2otorched likes this.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. INTP

INTP

I put a P/J set from Bill Lawrence in my VM Jaguar. The pickups have great tone, well balanced between P and J, quiet (no hum on either pickup), and an incredible bargain, IMHO. FWIW, the J pickup routing is for a bridge sized pickup, not neck sized, so P/J set will work (unlike other Squier models). My bass is the one with two stacked knobs (V/T V/T).

The set is a P46 and J45 Bridge.

I have gotten a lot of compliments on the tone of this bass with these pups. Highly recommended.

http://wildepickups.com/Bass_Pickups.html

7. parsons

parsons

For the money, you can NOT beat the Dimarzio Model P/J matched set. Split coil J to eliminate the hum. Sounds awesome.

8. JACink

JACink

+1 on the DiMarzios. I wouldn't say you can't do better, but they are well worth the price.

9. INTP

INTP

The Bill Lawrence set is only a few dollars more, FWIW. Also well worth the price.