1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Squier VM Jag bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Natman, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Natman

Natman

Hey guys,

Newbie here with a VM Jaguar looking to upgrade pickups. I have had lots of experience swapping pickups in guitars over the years but this is my first bass. I generally find high(er) end pickups are well worth the investment. While the stock Duncan Designed are ok (especially the P which is not half bad) I'm sure I can do better.

First off, I HATE the J hum. Somehow the 60 Hz background seems more acceptable in a guitar. I like the J tone but I'm not a purist, so what's out there?

I already bought a Sentell Jazz Blade off ebay, mainly because it looks cool. It has an alnico 3 bar magnet, but it still a single coil. Tone is fine (better than the stock ceramic DD), but output is too low for the hot P in the neck. Which brings me to my second point:

Is there a good P/J set with a silent J with balanced output?

I (briefly) considered Alumitones because I think chrome would look boss and they're totally silent, but reviews are mixed and they're getting hard to find, not to mention pricey.

This is a low end bass obviously and my chops are nothing to write home about yet, but I love modding and I hear the improvements even if no one else does. What do you recommend? I'm not ready to drop big money on Fralins for example. The pickups would equal what I paid for the bass!
  2. Cadfael

Cadfael

Mearsure the J Pu!!!
    Squier sometimes uses neck sized Js for the bridge position!
    You find the inch measurements of neck and bridge on the SD website and other sites.
    Check your J PU! Does it have neck or bridge size?

Well ...
    The DiMarzio PJ set has been a classic set for nearly 40 years ...
    Maybe you need to take the P plus a neck J to fit your Squier bass ...