1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Squier VM Jaguar Bass Special - Passive conversion?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Drew617, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Drew617

Drew617

Hey everyone… first post! I've lurked here for a while and gleaned plenty, so thanks.

Quick background: I've had a few basses years ago but recently got back into the instrument. Originally got an SX P copy - I had a great SX J about a decade ago - but sending that back since the truss rod is rattling. Tonight I pulled the trigger on a Squier VM Jaguar Special.

If this is a dupe, it's unintentional… searching for this bass is next to impossible. For the record, this is the standard scale VM Jaguar Special - 34", dot inlays, active (but unbranded) pickups. Not the SS, not the "Duncan" one with block inlays.

I picked this one out based on price, universally positive reviews and the P/J pickups. For now, this will be my only bass. From what I remember, I absolutely need a split P pickup but prefer to have the J available too.

I'll reserve judgment until I can plug this one in, but my previous impression (I owned a Bantam XB400) was that I prefer passive pickups. That Washburn was a nice slab of wood but the pickups had basically one mode, saturated and compressed. Didn't allow much personality to creep in.

So: Does anyone have experience with this bass in particular? Is it difficult to either a.) wire in a passive/active switch or b.) disable the active circuit altogether? Is either [possible,reasonable] with the stock pickups? I'm handy enough with soldering iron but tend to need specific instructions.

Cheers!

Drew

2. grunge_freak

grunge_freak

Not sure about the passive conversion but I owned that same bass for 4 years and it served me very well. You will not be disappointed I gigged and did some recording with the Jag and the variety of tones is very nice. I recommend some ernie ball hybrid slinkies, it sounds amazing with those.