Squier VM Jaguar/Highway One Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 6stringvince, Nov 7, 2013.

1. 6stringvince

6stringvince Supporting Member

Tell me if this is a bad idea,
    my two favorite basses are the Squier VM Jaguar (P/J Duncan designed pickups) , the other is the Highway One Precision with a Fralin pickup, I like the tonal options of the Squier (my band is all over the map in music styles, and this bass fits everything), but prefer the neck and overall playability/feel of the Precision, so, I'm thinking of putting the Precision neck, and Badass II bridge on the Squier as my main player, and putting the Squier neck and bridge on the Precision and selling it. Is this a bad idea, will I end up with 2 "lesser basses", or will the Squier be the bass of my dreams?
    Just fishin for for some input...
    Thanks in advance
  2. Hank Scorpio

Hank Scorpio

I'd try it and live with it for a while. If you sold the 'spare' bass, the amount you'd get for it would be nothing compared to what it'd cost you to get the basses back to spec if you changed your mind.

It should be a straightforward, reversible couple of mods so it's worth a shot
  3. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

First, the BAII is not an exact fit for the Squier, and you will likely have to do some drilling of new holes for it, which is tricky. Then the Precision body will have extra space in the bridge area, and you will probably have to drill extra holes in the Squier body too.

I would probably leave the Highway One intact. If you are looking for a heavier bridge, I think the Gotoh 201 is an exact fit, which would make switching it out easy, plus they are cheap. As for the neck, I would look for a nice Warmoth neck on sale that you can buy to your specs, put that on the Squier and sell the Squier neck.
  4. devilock76

devilock76

I have the Squire VM Jaguar. Great bass, very light and easy player. Hot output though. That can be good or bad depending how you look at it.

Ken
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bassbubble11

Bassbubble11 Supporting Member

I say do it. I don't know what you mean by "lesser". There
    is nothing "lesser" about a bass that feels and plays great.
  7. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Do whatever hits your switch for the bass you intend to play, nobody knows what you like as well as you do ... however ... make sure the neck fits properly before you sell anything, and ...

I would sell the components you are considering seperately ... your market will be extremely reduced trying to sell a Hwy One body with a Squier neck attached .. lots of folk looking for a good MIA Hwy Series body, and there are always people looking for inexpensive necks ... the two combined may have much less appeal to both/all .. JMHO
  8. 6stringvince

Thanks for the input, I think I'll give it a whirl, at a glance the bridges do appear to be interchangeable, the mounting screws look like they're the same distance apart. Also I heave read a post somewhere where this was a direct replacement.
  9. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

on my VM J's, the Fender 5 hole was a direct replacement .. never tried on the Jag ... it is the CV Jazz the has the wider mounting pattern than the stock Fender 5 hole pattern .. make sure you post your results whatever you end up doing, so others can learn from your experience ... :)
  10. awilkie84

awilkie84 Supporting Member

My BAII fits quite well on my Squier...
  11. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Part out the Highway One. I think you'll be surprised at how much you can get for the body, bare or loaded. With the nitro bodies and pre '08 American series pickups and electronics, they're in pretty high demand. I was hot for a HW One body myself a couple months ago, but ended up finding something else special.

edit: Reread your post and saw the HW One has a Fralin. Quick sale here or eBay. You'll get more parting it out (don't sell cheap).
  12. 6stringvince

All done, easy pleasy! Everything bolted right up with no major issues, plays great, sounds great! The E string wasn't a perfect alignment, but the Badass II saddle allows you to move the string over a notch, now perfect, I set the action low, no rattles, no issues.
    While I had it apart I decided to do a relic job to the whole thing (I know, I know, how juvenile!), but I do like relics, I like not having to worry about scratching my bass.
    Thanks for all the input

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1383940646.996781.jpg ImageUploadedByTalkBass1383940682.568396.jpg
    Flad likes this.
  13. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

looks nice .. what did it end up weighing ?
  14. 6stringvince

Not sure, I don't have an accurate scale, but it's pretty light
  15. Bongolation

Bongolation

Yes.
  16. awilkie84

awilkie84 Supporting Member

How did you go about deglossing the body? That looks amazing!
  17. 6stringvince

Really light sand paper. I've used a sandblaster in the passed, but didn't have it available today