Squier VM Jaguar V bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basmicke, Feb 27, 2014.

1. basmicke

basmicke

I'm interested to know if anyone plays one of these stock and how they're holding up compared to other Fender type basses.
    There was some buzz when they arrived but haven't heard anything since then. Would be interesting to hear opinions now, after the 'honeymoon', if you kept the instrument and your general impressions about it.
    I'm not really interested in modding it so are these good to go with just new strings and basic adjustments?
  2. dagovna659

dagovna659

They are gigable right out the box IMO with minor adjustments. I gig mine out the box and I dont plan on replacing anything on the bass. Nice solid punchy tone. It can do a pbass and jbass tone effortlessly.
  3. basmicke

basmicke

I've gigged mine a couple of times now and my first impression remains. Extreme value for money. Of course a bit rough on the edges and the pu's aren't great but they work fine, especially the p-bass pup.
    The j-pup has too much single coil hum where I've gigged to actually be useful. At home I have no hum so it's probably a shielding issue.
    The only thing that gives a really cheap impression is the preamp that mostly ruins my sound so it will probably go in the future. For now I just leave it at minimum level.
    Love the neck dimensions and the playabity
    I mean... at this cost, wow👍
  4. dagovna659

dagovna659

a solid 2hrs just working with the preamp and different pup combos is what it took for me to find the tones for me. The bass boost is only a bass boost but when you mix the tone knob in , a little goes a long way. As you probably know the tone knob opens up the high-end, so if you tweek it a little at a tim you will be amazed at the tones you can get. Good luck.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. basmicke

basmicke

Has anyone disconnected the preamp and used the pu's in passive mode? Is it an easy, do it yourself operation?
  7. darthplagis

darthplagis

just follow a jazz bass wiring, two vol and a tone.

or just get a pre wired harness and just connect the pickups, job done.

you would have a spare hole on the plate, so either dummy pot or output socket and ignore the side jack.

OR.... you could grab a new pre amp for cheap.... in usa you can get duncan pre's for $50-60 it would just be your pickups and battery to wire in, so that's 5/6 wires in total.