1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Squier VM Jazz 4 vs 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IPYF, Oct 1, 2013.

1. IPYF

IPYF

I'm sure this has been done to death and I'm not sure if anyone can actually help in any tangible sense but I'd be stoked if anyone who has played both the 4 and 5 string models could give me some feedback.

I've essentially decided to get a Squier VM bass but I'm now just tossing up whether to get the 4 string or the 5 string jazz.

I played the 4 in store today and I really dug it in a big way. Hearty tone and most importantly a neck profile that I just adored. The thing is though that I'd actually really like a nice 5 string and at the price point (like an extra $90) it's really almost too good to pass up. My problem is the store I go to doesn't have the 5 (nor does anyone in town, I've checked) thus I would essentially have to commit to buying it before they'll order it.

I really freaking hate buying something sight-unseen. I simply don't know if I'd like it so I was wondering if anyone has played both and would care to comment on the difference? Is it simply that one is a 5 string and the other isn't or is there more to it? I know it's a fuzzy and terribly unanswerable question but maybe someone who has played both might have an insight into any subtleties. Maybe someone who loves the 4 failed to love the 5 and might warn me off?

Appreciate any responses.

2. Wallace320

Wallace320

I'm no help here, 'cause not only I won't talk you out of the 5er, but nonetheless push you to order it

The basses are almost the very same in sound and feel (Squier
    active deluxe V has a wider, different neck, while VMV is still
    "slim", in a way)

Problem is, as with all VM series 4er basses out there, necks are hit or miss down to QC and stability.

I said "VM series 4er basses"
    Infact I had a couple of them: the first one went back to shop
    in a week/the second one-slightly better-had its neck replaced

The Vintage Modified 5er I happened to try out were all ok
    Get me: fit and finish, and overall feel of the bass are the very
    same between 4er and 5er
    Neck aren't
    5er necks are consistent one another, while 4er necks are like russian roulette

Get the 5er
    Chances are it could be good out of the box even sight unseen

Cheers,
    Wallace

3. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

If a four-stringer is more comfortable in your hands, but you still want to hit those low notes, you could always get a Hipshot Drop-D tuner.

4. MattZilla

MattZilla

Haven't played the VM J4, played tye VM P4 and VM J5. Love them both. Tuned the J5 down to F#, it handled it like a champ- saaah llllllid bottom.

But I will not reccomend buying before trying. Just don't do it, that's how they get rid of the lemons.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. IPYF

IPYF

Yeah. I've always liked the idea of having a 5 with an ultralow string but my main bass is already tuned to C standard so if I need a really low running instrument that I could rely on I'd go for that, slap a different gauge of string on for low A# and and reset it for that application.

The appeal of the VM is just to have a 'normal bass' that stays in a 'normal tuning' and plays as you would expect a 'normal bass' to play. The main proviso is that my fingers no longer keep up with a bass in standard tuning because I'm used to running on a very low tuned instrument and thus if I pick up someone else's 'normal bass' I find I'm completely hamfisted because my fingers have become flaccid and lazy.

Unfortunately the poster who notes QC issues has made me less confident about buying a 5 without seeing it. I know I like the 4 string, so why take a risk?