Squier VM Jazz Bass 5 String Dilemma

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by DHeath, Dec 12, 2012.

1. DHeath

DHeath

I bought a used a Squier VM Jazz Bass 5 String with the high C. I plan on changing the strings on it and I'm just wondering what would have to be done to accommodate a Low B string.
  2. El-Bob

El-Bob

It would already accommodate one, as that is what they are designed for. You will just have to do a setup after you restring. This includes truss rod, action, and intonation. There are plenty of helpful guides to be found if you do a google or TB search. They will help you far better than I could explain it myself. Best of luck, and I hope you enjoy having the low B! (I know I can't live without mine :D ).

Btw, I would recommend a .135 gauge for that bass, as you may find a lighter one to be a bit 'floppy'.

Edit: Here is a detailed guide that should help. http://www.jerzydrozdbasses.com/akcndfr54jdhrei567/Ultimate_Guide_ver100.pdf
  3. kurosawa

kurosawa Supporting Member

I bought a 5 that has a humongous B and it's the best B I ever played! Must be a Circle K balanced set, nice, even tension.
  4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

If the previous owner wanted it to be properly set up for being E-C it will need a new nut cut in order to accommodate the strings properly. If he just strung it E-C it should be fine, the nut will still accommodate bigger strings.

I would say you will find most B strings sloppy on that bass, a .135 might help a little but I wouldn't expect it to be tight.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DHeath

DHeath

Thanks, I've been going crazy without the B don't get me wrong that C is cool but its not for me.