Squier VM Jazz Bass V or Peavey Foundation 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by J03YW, Jan 28, 2014.

1. J03YW

J03YW

I have a used Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass V and I want a 5 string which is good for metal. Right now that bass is doing all of my funky stuff, while my local music store has a used white 5 string Peavey Foundation with a big ugly red sticker on it for $189. I plugged it in and it sounded like a million bucks. Do you think the Foundation would outperform the Squier at metal (and I should buy it) or should I just keep and try to use the Squier? No matter what I'm keeping the Squier, this is more of a question of whether or not the Foundation would be worth the extra $189.
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

To be honest, either will work fine. Your rig will bring the thunder.
  3. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

Agree with Doc Cheese.

BUT, a MIA Foundation 5, in good condition, is a REALLY good deal at $189! I would expect it to sound better than the Squier, too. But, that is something only you can really decide, and you need to play them side by side, through the same rig, to really know for sure.
  4. Shaky

Shaky

I think with today's technology you can get a lot of your tone from you rig alone, however individual guitars and basses have their own tonal qualities and vibes to them. I have a 95 Foundation 5 which I think has more bottom end and punch than my SX jazz (not a Squier, but comparable) provided all setting are the same. I think the main question should be if a 5-string is what you want. I love my 5-string until I have to but new strings.

If you get the Foundation let us know how you like it?

As far as the sticker goes, I have removed several using either "Goof Off" or Rosonthal lighter fluid. It usually leave a little film which can be buffed away with a soft rag. You still may want to test whatever cleaner you choose somewhere it won't show.

Good luck
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Shaky

Shaky

I apologize, I just noticed in you original post that you Squier is a 5-string.