Squier VM jazz: installing a pickguard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hernameisrio, Jan 13, 2013.

1. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

I just want to make totally sure of this before I buy the one I want, because I'm already kinda hitting a few snags with my paint job and want to make sure I'm spending my money well! (long story, see Rattle Can Refinish thread!)

Anyway, I'm pimping out my Squier VM jazz fretless because I decided lime green with a zebra print pickguard is much more radical than sunburst finish. :nods: That said, I'm just checking...is the ONLY difference between a Squier jazz pickguard and a Fender jazz pickguard, the drill pattern of the screw holes? Will a Fender jazz pickguard fit on this bass given that it is not drilled for a pickguard at all?

Gosh, I hope so! Carry on. Thanks, TBers. <3

2. Cney

Cney

Worked for my affinity strat when i put an original tfender tortoise pickguard on it. had to fill a couple of holes and dril new ones. you could fil it up with a thin wood rod and glue, but i would suggest some epoxy. so you can get it realy flat.

3. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

The Squier VM Fretless doesn't come with a pickguard. It has the control plate for the knobs, but the rest is naked.

http://www.fender.com/basses/jazz-bass/vintage-modified-jazz-bass-fretless/

I've seen a couple of examples of people installing one. I even saw one earlier tonight, a used item at my local Guitar Center. It looked just fine. I was just surprised that it was there in the first place.

I'm no luthier, and I want to say "It'll be fine. It's just wood." but see if you can hear from someone who has already done it first. That or you could just call Fender directly. I've called them before and to a very cool customer service rep who emailed me some documentation I needed.

4. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

Thanks Malak, I think I will contact Fender and just see what they say.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Liam76

Liam76

I bought a tort PG from Warmoth years ago, and I assume it used the American jazz bass pattern. Anyway, to make it fit, I had to grind some material in the neck pocket as well as where it contacts the control plate.

[​IMG]

7. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Not sure about the fretless model, but on my VM 70's fretted the Fender pickguard was a tad too small around the neck pocket. I could make it fit, but was a tight squeeze. Some light filing would easily make it work. The other problem is that the control plate is shape slightly different on the Squier, so you either have to get a "Fender" control plate or file around there also.

8. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

Think I'm gonna order the pick guard I want and just file it to make it work. I mean, it's plastic...I went to art school, I can do this... ;) Now I'm also thinking of eventually putting in a different pickup to have one P and one J. So, she's turning into a project anyway!

9. Batmensch

Batmensch

Another issue here that I've seen is that the fit between a Fender PG and the control plate on the Squier is noticably off.

10. jperala

jperala

This was one minute job...

Attached Files:

11. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

Change of plans: Getting a Squier VM jazz pickguard after all, as the one I wanted that I would've had to file down, was twice the price...kinda sucks given that I'd be hacking it up on top of spending $30. I used to work at a print shop and I remembered that they make vinyl decals, so I think I might end up having them print the zebra-print pattern as a decal and then cut it to the proper shape. Should be pretty slick and even if it comes out to the same price, it'll be done right. Wish me luck!