1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

squier vm jazz or yamaha trbx304

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dosage, Dec 8, 2013.

1. dosage

dosage

New bass player here - about 8 months, currently playing an older mim pbass.

Ive narrowed it down to these two. Choose one for me. I know the trbx series are new but if anyone has any thoughts on these I would appreciate it.

Sorry for my silly post, but Im not sure what to go for. Yamaha looks better quality, but not so sure about the sound/tone of it. The couple youtube vids I saw with the trbx didnt help me make up my mind either.

:help: anyone?

P.S. Im interested in the jazz because I think i like the tone more than a p bass. Do you think I can achieve a jazz-ish sound with the trbx?

2. mrb327

mrb327 Supporting Member

Check the controls and how they are wired. The 504 has a passive setting, sounds fairly close. The 304 has pre-sets, might not go full passive. In the end its a matter of taste. But if you like passive of the P bass, you might be a passive tone player.

I have bought 3 active basses. Sold 2 off already because for the style of music i play it just doesn't sound right. Food for thought

3. dosage

dosage

thanks!

Any other opinions?

4. mrb327

mrb327 Supporting Member

I own a VM jazz and am very pleased with it, but play mostly classic rock.

Consider why you want a new bass and what role you need it for. A jazz with rounds can nail most rock tones, especially if you dont mind palm muting or using a pick. My jazz has a series/parallel switch pot, makes it more versitile.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fredolee16

fredolee16

7. B.R. St. Louis

B.R. St. Louis

If you haven't already found a bass the Yamaha TRBX 304 is an awesome value. I played many basses before deciding on the 304. Many at 3 to 5 times the price. The TRBX 304 is very versatile in its tonal ability, not to mention a really fast neck with great action. Super bass in HMO..

8. rafitoprtx

rafitoprtx

I own the five string vein the 305. Awesome bass for the price but like the above comment said. You can only get active bass tone with it. If you want a more vintage tone buy the 504 that is active and passive. In quality no squire can give you what yamaha is offering. Mahogany body 5 piece neck humbucker pickups and 5 year warranty.