1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

squier vm jazz or yamaha trbx304

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dosage, Dec 8, 2013.

1. dosage

dosage

New bass player here - about 8 months, currently playing an older mim pbass.

Ive narrowed it down to these two. Choose one for me. I know the trbx series are new but if anyone has any thoughts on these I would appreciate it.

Sorry for my silly post, but Im not sure what to go for. Yamaha looks better quality, but not so sure about the sound/tone of it. The couple youtube vids I saw with the trbx didnt help me make up my mind either.

:help: anyone?

P.S. Im interested in the jazz because I think i like the tone more than a p bass. Do you think I can achieve a jazz-ish sound with the trbx?
  2. mrb327

mrb327 Just say No to Tort Supporting Member

Check the controls and how they are wired. The 504 has a passive setting, sounds fairly close. The 304 has pre-sets, might not go full passive. In the end its a matter of taste. But if you like passive of the P bass, you might be a passive tone player.

I have bought 3 active basses. Sold 2 off already because for the style of music i play it just doesn't sound right. Food for thought
  3. dosage

dosage

thanks!

Any other opinions?
  4. mrb327

mrb327 Just say No to Tort Supporting Member

I own a VM jazz and am very pleased with it, but play mostly classic rock.

Consider why you want a new bass and what role you need it for. A jazz with rounds can nail most rock tones, especially if you dont mind palm muting or using a pick. My jazz has a series/parallel switch pot, makes it more versitile.
  5. fredolee16

fredolee16