1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Squier VM Jazz vs SX?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by J03YW, Aug 12, 2013.

1. J03YW

J03YW

Hey, I swooped on a $220 used Squier VM Jazz bass 5 string on impulse, but I realized I could get a 6 string (which would be nice) from Rondo for $170. I'm not unhappy with my Squier, but while I'm able to return it would it be worth it to get the SX?
  2. funkybassinator

funkybassinator

The VMs are definitely higher quality than any stock SX. especially with something like a six string I would be very hesitant get involved with SX.
  3. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

Keep the Squier, maybe save up (shouldn't take too long) and get the SX later. There's nothing wrong with the SX necessarily, but , in your case, the Squier is definitely worth that extra fifty bucks.
  4. dabbler

dabbler

I agree with Linton. BUT you should NOT be hesitant about SX. Rondo has a really good return policy and as someone who had bought quite a few, I'll probably do it again!

I have other basses, like the 2 on the left here:

[​IMG]

but my main basses are SX. Of course different strokes for different folks and YMMV and all that but you get more than your money's worth with SX, IMO.
  5. bassbenj

bassbenj

TB Rule: you can never own too many basses! :)

I can assure you (owning a Squier P/J 5er and THREE SX 6ers) that you really need BOTH those basses. Squier makes really nice 5ers. Mine needed a bit of shielding and futzing but it came out great. And I got the SX 6ers to get a feel for the Steve Bailey passive Fender 6 string thing without a Fender price. Those basses needed shielding and tweaks as well, but none were really big deal. In the end with both those basses you'd really have something. Personally I don't consider them exactly interchangeable. A 6er is where you need that upper range more for solos or chords or jazz type stuff. The 5ers are more for when you don't. And that especially goes for a Squier where sometimes a Fender-shaped headstock is a critical factor. The idea that you "move up" from a 5 to a 6 is just wrong.

Give in. Feel the GAS!
  6. J03YW

J03YW

How's the tone of the pups and what not on the 6ers? They're cheap as chips, I might pick up 2 at once in a bit...
  7. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Keep the Squier, save for the SX.

I'm saving for one of those sixers, myself. Ive already got two SX basses in my house (I own an Ursa 2, my son owns a shortscale P). Yesterday my son (who's 9) told me he wants a burst J like mine. I'm a proud dad. I'll probably order the sixer for me when I order his.
  8. dabbler

dabbler

I hate answering questions like this because different people like different things. But I will say this, look at the basses in my post above, the 3 SXes on the right end are my main players. The I modded the 5 string pretty heavily, to include new pups. The 4 stringer and 6 stringers both have stock pups and the only electronics mods on those2 are shielding, series/parallel switching and on the 4 stringer, switches to select either coil or series/parallel in the bucker.

The sound may not knock your socks off, but it will def make you at LEASTsmile... when you remember what it cost you. Good strong passive tone!