1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Squier VM Mustang or Ibanez SR300?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BulbousMoses, Dec 3, 2013.

1. BulbousMoses

BulbousMoses

Yes, I am well aware of the differences between these 2 basses. If you had to choose one of them to be your only bass, what one would it be and why?

2. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

I'd choose the Mustang for the shorter scale, and because a Mustang is already my main bass.

3. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

I would opt for the SR300. With it's EQ and dual pickups it's a bit more versatile.
    It's a very nice bass too, light, thin but good range on the sound.
    Mustang is nice too, but if I only had to pick only one, it would be the SR300.

Of course if you buy used, you can pick up both for the price of a new one.

4. MethodsofDance

MethodsofDance

SR300. Its light, comfortable, and pretty versatile. Was my dream bass when I first started out.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BulbousMoses

BulbousMoses

Can you get an old school blues/R & B sound from the Ibanez?

7. Sethakamoe

Sethakamoe

Ibanez that's what I would go with

8. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse

I have an Ibanez SR305 (not a 300, but it's close) that I like a lot, but the sound is very "generic" and tends to get lost in the mix as the guitar volumes and distortion levels go up. My Fender Mustang RI (not the same as the Squier VM, but it is what I have) has a "Precision Bass" sound that doesn't have that problem. I gig with it much more than the Ibanez. The Ibanez also has a low output I am not all that fond of, now that I think about it. Limited to one, I would select the Mustang.

9. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Ibanez. More versatile. More comfortable. More playable. More nicer! Just better.

10. Thrash3r

Thrash3r

11. Monster Truck

Monster Truck groove student Supporting Member

Mustang, I have a re-issue Mustang and I love everything about it.

12. macmanlou

Probably, but the Mustang does that with ease.

Buy both basses from a place with a good return policy. Get (or do) setups on both with the strings you'd prefer. Return one after you've had plenty of time to A-B them - or figure out a way to keep both.

13. Maz

Maz

As much as I'm an absolute Ibanez fan, I'd get the Mustang. 300 series Soundgears are disappointing to my ears.

14. BulbousMoses

BulbousMoses

I'm leaning towards the Mustang. It's less versatile but I think, for me, it has the tones that I am most fond of. Kind of Precision-like. I love the P bass tone but coming from the guitar world, I've never been able to get comfortable with a standard P neck. I know there are people who say that short scale basses are not "real" basses but I think that's kind of elitist and backwards. There are many players, famous and otherwise, who have cut great tracks using a short scale instrument.

15. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

assuming you've played both? which one do you love? ibanez makes nice stuff for sure but their low end stuff im not crazy about whereas squier is the business even the bronco.

16. BulbousMoses

BulbousMoses

I've tried the Ibanez but not the Squier (no one in my city has one in stock to try)

17. macmanlou

Back in the 70's, I saw James Brown perform on TV in glorious black and white, with monaural sound. His bassist played a red Mustang - a "real" bass that sounded great.

Get yourself a Tech21 VT Bass pedal and you can diversify a Mustang's tone 'til your heart's content.

18. BulbousMoses

BulbousMoses

I'd love to see that clip of JB's bass player. I've scoured YouTube for videos of both the Ibanez and the Squier Mustang and there are a few good examples of both basses but I keep going back to the Mustang. The only thing I don't like about the Squier (and it's purely aesthetic) is that the neck is very pale. Too bad it didn't have more of a vintage tint.

19. macmanlou

I haven't seen the JB clip anywhere else, either (and it must have been in color 'cause I remember the Mustang was red).

Both of my Mustangs have rosewood fingerboards (my aesthetic preference). One is a stock white RI, the other is a sunburst Squier with a defretted RI neck. BTW the electronics on the Squier and Fender RI seem to be virtually the same (to my ears).

20. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Like someone else mentioned you can get one or both & try. If you don't love it send it back.

21. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

The SR300 hands down. Personally I love the thinner Ibby neck not to mention the active 3band EQ which has a much wider range of sound. I think the SR is better looking with the nicely contoured (lighter) body, and the QC is top notch.
    My 2 cents.