Squier VM Mustang vs Fender Mustang

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bmoney1990, Apr 14, 2014.

1. bmoney1990

bmoney1990

I'm in the market for a SS. As a man that bleeds Fender, I wanna know the difference between these two basses. Can also take comparisons with the Mikey Way or Pawn Shop. Having never owned a SS, I question whether or not it is worth the $800 for the Fender if I can get the VM for $300 and maybe mod it for less than I would have paid for the standard Fender. Thoughts?

2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I don't know about the Squier, but the MIJ Mustang is fantastic. Of all the basses I've owned and sold, I regret selling the mustang the most. Recently there were a few in the classifieds that sold already for about $500. They also pop up on used.guitarcenter.com fairly often, but not right now unfortunately.

3. sandman357

sandman357

I cant compare it with the squire because I haven't tried one, but I just got the Pawn Shop Mustang a month ago and love it. Never had a short scale before and was not looking for one. I was just messing around, killing time at a music store and the sales guy convinced me to try it. The sound is amazing. The pickup is so hot! In reviews it is said it sounds like a P bass on steroids. Don't know what that means, but it definitely thumps! The short scale and low action make it a dream to play, but you still get the booming low end. I am in a classic rock cover band, and the sound is perfect for that type of music.

So as you can see, I am a fan. The store was selling it new with a gig bag for $699. 100 bucks cheaper than I could find it online or at GC. If possible, go play one. You may be as surprised as I was.

Good luck.

4. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88 Supporting Member

My son has the MIJ and we love it. The build quality is top notch. It sounds big and fruity and is very much a mini Precision with a Jazz neck. Not a wide range of tones but that's not why you buy it. Minor niggle - the p/u mounting screw is right where I put my thumb and the screw head digs in when I'm on the E string. Easy fix and something I forget about 90% of the time anyway. Well worth the price IMO and should last for decades.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

I bought the Fender RI during a 15% off sale @ MF. Great build quality: mine is flawless. Very comfortable to play. As others have said, not a super broad tonal range, but what it does, it does well. Dump the stock rounds and put flats on it!

My only complaint is that the MIJ comes in only a single configuration: I would've preferred natural or sunburst with a maple FB. Oh well...

I've come close to snagging a VM Squier several times, but thus far haven't pulled the trigger. They seem to get mostly quite favorable reviews.

Note that the Squier sports a slightly flatter fretboard radius than the MIJ Fender (9.50" vs. 7.25") and MJ frets vs. the MIJ Fender's "vintage" sized. Note also that the E-G string spacing (at the bridge) on the MIJ Fender is 2" (as opposed to the more common 2-1/4"). Not sure which spacing the VM Squier uses. Maybe somebody who owns one will measure for us and chime in.

7. Monster Truck

Monster Truck groove student Supporting Member

I've never played the Squier, but my CIJ Mustang is the bee's knees. Also, I believe a Fender will hold it's resale value better if you decide to sell it in the future.

8. FerruleCat

FerruleCat

It was the fingerboard radius that put me off the MIJ. For the money, the Squier VM is plenty good if you're OK with the maple FB. I just now got back from my local tech, who did a setup and restrung with GHS Pressurewounds. He had to tweak the nut slots and truss rod a bit, but it's dialed in very nicely.

The only other Mustang I'd consider at this point is a Pawn Shop, which I'm pretty sure has the flatter radius. But honestly, $800 for a MIM instrument is a little hard to swallow given the value of the $280 VM.

EDIT #1: One thing to note about the black VM is that it scratches like a motha - really my only complaint.

EDIT #2: The Squier VM Mustang string spacing at the bridge is 2 1/16" center-to-center.

h2otorched likes this.