Squier VM Precision Bass OR Squier VM PJ bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Grizzol, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Grizzol

Grizzol

Which one would you choose?
    I played both yesterday and am stuck on which one to aquire! They are both very amazing basses.

P-Bass Maple neck with the Duncan Designed PUPs

http://www.fender.com/en-CA/squier/series/vintage-modified/vintage-modified-precision-bass-rosewood-fingerboard-olympic-white/

OR

VM PJ Bass, Sunburst and the extra J PUP

http://www.fender.com/basses/precision-bass/vintage-modified-precision-bass-pj-rosewood-fingerboard-3-color-sunburst/

Any real differences in the Duncan designed pup? To my ear it does sounds a lil better but the added J pup on the PJ also sounds great for getting that unique tone. Neck on the PJ also feels slimmer but the finish is kinda sticky compared to the pbass.

Thanks for any input guys! :bassist:
  2. bigscore1000

bigscore1000

Matt Freeman CV-P Bass

[​IMG]
  3. Bobster

Bobster

4. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

+1 on the Matt Freeman...
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mattattack187

mattattack187 Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

+2 on the Freeman
  7. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

+3 on the Freeman
  8. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

If it were my money, I'd go for the P/J, but then again I'll admit that I'm a sucker for them.

I had a very nice Precision I'd put together from parts, including a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder pickup hooked up to a Stellartone Tonestyler. The sound was nice, but a little too "monochromatic" for me. Having played that and a couple of different P/J's, I find I prefer the greater versatility and "snarl" they produce.
  9. Grizzol

Grizzol

Thanks for all the input guys! Got back from long and mcquade, the local guitar chain in canada and test them both out. I'm kinda leaning towards the pbass it's just so nice with the maple FB and yellowy natural finish. It also seems to have. Better build quality. The pj is also great to play and customize tone and is retailing for a tad cheaper than the pbass but quality is little less. The feel and sound isn't the same as the pbass and Theres a bit of buzZ from the combo pups at certain settings. I'm goin back today to return my vm squier fretless pbass and swapping it out for one of these two, so I'll let you guys know!

Another option I see it to buy a used vm pbass for almost half the price and poppin in a SD 1/4 pound pup, not sure how much diff it will be from the duncan designed. I can't seem to find that Matt F. Bass anywhere to test out. Thanks again!:bassist:
  10. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

I have the Amber VM P , and I wouldn't dream of changing out the DD pickup. It sounds great as is.
  11. 4OnTheFloor

4OnTheFloor Supporting Member

Out of the two, I say the Precision, skip the PJ. IMO
  12. G00D+~VIBES

G00D+~VIBES

I own the p/j, and I almost never use the "j" p/u
  13. Grizzol

Grizzol

Mods please close thread. I went and bought the used VM pbass in amber/maple for a steal at $179.99 including a Fender soft case and a couple cables and man im I impressed. Thing played better than a brand new one and everything was set so perfect on it, played like butter. For a guy that was sucked into the whole Jazz bass hype for almost 10 years, now owning this Squier P-Bass, I am officially a P-Bass guy hands down. The sound when you play with accompaniment and a band is just unreal. No more need to tweak and try to dial in a sound with a J just so u can be heard and fit in properly, this thing works with practically any setting you throw at it! The raw sound of a bass and thump is really different from the musically sounding piano notes of a jbass. As a owner of 2 MIM Fender Jazz Basses and a Sterling Sting RAY 4, I can proudly say this cheap bass is my now favourite.
  14. twc1313

twc1313 Supporting Member

I have the VM P-Bass in Amber as well....it's an amazing bass, blew my MIM P and even dare I say (TB will shun me) my old Relic 59' Custom Shop P right out of the water.

The satin maple neck is great and the DD pickups are solid on it, I'd never change a thing on this bass.

A P/J bass to me is the worst of both worlds.