1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Squire CV 60's P vs MIM p

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dideah, Dec 6, 2012.

1. dideah

dideah

Im looking to buy a new p bass to string up with flats. I like both of these but to my ears the MIM had sounded the slightest bit better. But with the extra cash buying the CV i could buy better pickups and maybe pump some cash for a new bridge? What do you think is the best option?

2. soulman969

soulman969

My opinion? Buy the CV and save around $175 or so. Then take the savings and get this;

http://www.wildepickups.com/Bass_Pickups.html

Precision Bass Pickups P-46
    Price: $60

The P-46 humbucker offers Bill's multi-pole piece system which can accomodate either 4, 5 or 6 string Precision Bass instruments. It is standard with four conductor wires for multi-sound wiring options and comes with mounting screws.

Dimensions:
    Width 1.10"
    Length 2.24"
    Depth 0.82"

Inductance:
    3.8H

And a set of one or the other of these;

http://www.bassstringsonline.com/Precision-Flats_c_177.html (about $20 per set)

http://www.bassstringsonline.com/Deep-Talkin-Flat-Wound-Bass-Strings_c_96.html (about $40 per set)

You do this and you'll spend less than you would on an MIM and have a much better bass than you would with either of them stock and you won't look back with any regrets. Trust me.

The bridge and the rest are fine. No need to do a thing. That pickup and the strings will be the majority of the influence on your sound anyway.

My Matt Freeman has that P46 installed and a set of GHS PFlats on it and with less than $400 invested it is a superb bass. I've been playing for over 35 years and this is one of the nicest Fender Basses I've ever owned set up just that way. Good Luck!

3. mazdah

mazdah

My opinion:

- If you buy Squier CV P, you'll get bass that looks like vintage Fender P
    - If you buy MiM P, youl get The Fender P.

I'd go with MiM, they are getting better and better nowadays. Even Ed Friedland while testing CV Squiers said, that if you have more money, you should go with MiM Fender.

4. soulman969

soulman969

I don't agree.

What you'll actually get is a Precision Bass made in China using MIA specs similar to that of a 1960 Fender Precision Bass that will accept after market parts that any MIA bass will.

Or you'll get roughly the same Precision Bass made in Mexico to MIM specs that will only accept after market parts that will fit an MIM. You'll also get more finish choices.

The quality differences may differ from bass to bass but overall the Squier CV line is on par with or better than the MIM Standard line as far as fit an finish and about the same as far as pickups and electronics are concerned. Hardware is also comparable.

If someone cares enough about the name on the headstock they'll buy an MIM but if not the better value is in the CV. Especially if you intend to replace the pickup or modify one in any way. But even stock an MIM can't justify it's cost difference in a direct comparison. I did and I bought a CV.

It was the better bass of the two period and if it wasn't I'd be playing an MIM.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mazdah

mazdah

Well, I think you just got a good Squier not a poor MiM (it happens, even US Fenders may be done bad)

CV Squier looks just like mine AV 62 P, it's build to look like old P-bass (just like my AV Reissue), MiM P is not that flashy, it's all about max performance at minimum cost, so they are not as good looking.

I had two MiM Jazzes, I have AV 62 P and 60th anniversary P. I've played on a beautiful Squier CV 60's in fiesta red, great bass, but sounded more like Modern Player Fender than MiM Standard. MiM Classics (50's P) were way ahead.

So.. in conclusion: everyone should test by themself to choose the right bass :)

7. backup

backup

i think you should go with the squire it plays like buttah and can easily overshadow any made in mexico or argentina P

8. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

I own both the Squire CV P & The CV J

They are exceptional basses, I've often boasted about how my 60's CV J gets more play time than my real Pre CBS 62 Jazz.
    Not because I'm trying to protect the vintage one, but because the Squire is an absolute joy to play.
    I can't wait to start making some pick-up changes at some point, but for now they're all stock.

You really can't go wrong with Squier's CV line.

Having said all that, I've also played some really nice great sounding MIM's these past few months, and each was just as nice in its own way.

Point being, you'll probably be happy either way you go. Good luck!!

9. bh2

bh2

I have a MIM P Bass and it's a mighty fine one, although ALL the CV P basses I've tried have been superb.

Haven't tried any of the newer ones (MIM) though they look very nice, in the old days it was easy to get a lemon.

Tough call I reckon.

10. Wallace320

Wallace320

A preCBS salmon pink Jazz bass like yours deserves the caveau of FortKnox:)
    That's why a wise player like I think you must be (accustomed to Vintage specs) finds proficient to play Classic Vibe Squiers;)
    They got a "similar" feeling, in a way, but they're no brainer if giggin' around

Yeah: I feel like you can't fool me talkin' about "not protectin'" such lil' treasure:bag:

Cheers,
    Wallace

PS: MIM standard, if Classic '50s is too costy, sounds anyway better... lotta things to upgrade, but traditional alder body instead of more modern basswood, and just modern specs, which is good.

11. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

If comparing the CV to a standard MIM I would take the CV everytime. I like the looks, neck, weight and feel better and would save coin which could go into mods if I wanted to.

If you are comparing a RW or classic 50's style P bass to a CV I would go with the MIM then. As for MIMs, I would look for a used RW or classic but to tell you the truth the only bass I would buy right now if I had to is a CV..they are great basses for the money.

12. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I would go with the MIM, I have played piles of Squiers and MIM's and though you will see the odd MIM dogs, every Squier has low grade fret work and sharp fret edges I have ever seen. MIM's are consistently better basses in my personal opinion. Squier is great for the money, but not up to par with Fender's better offerings.

13. Wallace320

Wallace320

+1
    and I too got Squiers in my humble collection...

Cheers,
    Wallace

14. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

I don't see all these fret issues on the CV's I have played. In fact the fretwork is quite good. I also don't see all these MIMs with sloppy cut neck pockets some speak about here on TB.
    I'm not looking to buy but I guess if I were my area has some good ones :rolleyes:

15. rasicci

rasicci

I have a MIM fender precision classic 50's with Chromes on it and it plays and sounds amazing. Once I changed to the flatwound strings it just had a much better vibe.

16. recreate.me

recreate.me

I would personally take the CV Squier P over the MIM. I really prefer the appearance and the neck tint looks great to me. The MIM are a dime a dozen and have always looked the same.

Last i heard i also preferred the CV pickups to the MIM. The MIM just seems a bit more modern midrangy and harsh. The CV seemed rounded and had more of a vintage tone that i really liked through a tube a amp.

If you play them both and the MIM feels better and has a sound you can live with, then buy that. You can always put in new electronics and pups for 150$ down the line.

The resale value on the MIM i think is a bit better, they seem to hold more value then a squier.

IF you can get a used Fender Classic 50s P bass, and put flats on that you will be in heaven. They run like 400-500$ used.

17. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Lol, not trying to fool anyone, I assure you!

If you put the CV-Jazz up against the real thing, in every aspect the real thing is a MUCH better all around instrument.

I play the 62 as often as I possibly can, and honestly if I felt comfortable leaving it out if its case to sit like the CV, I'd probably ALWAYS reach for the vintage.

However, there is no disappointment, when I'm playing the Classic Vibe, it's an incredible bass on every level I can think of (including fret end's)
    The overall fit & finish is excellent.

If I was Fender (Squier) and I wanted to get it even closer to the original 60's basses, I don't feel like there's a whole lot that would need changing.

Minor things like, the horrible modern day tort guard on the Jazz. That thing looks NOTHING like the real deal.
    The fret material, can't tell you why, I just don't know enough, but the old bass has no clanky sounds when fretting I've noticed on modern basses. Maybe the metal is softer or something???

I would prefer the original 60's style bridge, and nut.
    Of coarse the P'ups.
    Last would be the tuners.

But none of these changes would be because they currently lack ANYTHING. More so just to get it closer to the real vintage feel & sound.

Ok that's my thoughts, carry on!!

18. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6
    Played them both and play ALOT of Fender's period. MY choice is the CV Squier.....Change the pickup and have a great playing and sounding bass.....and save the $.....good luck in your choice

19. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

I vote for either. I think Squier CV series are above the MIM Standards - but not above any MIM Classic series. So just based on that, you're going to have to look at the specs.

Since we're talking straight P-basses, it gets a bit simpler here.

Squier Classic Vibe / Matt Freeman Signature:
    • High mass bridge equipped with wider string spacing
    • Basswood body (negative for tone-wood fanatics / positive for people wanting a lighter bass)
    • Fiesta Red or Sonic Blue (discontinued color) / Vintage White or Black (Matt Freeman Signature)
    • Standard tuners
    • Alnico V pickup (Vintage tone lovers)
    • Glossed Neck (use steel wool in case you don't prefer it)
    • Rosewood (CV) or Maple (MF) fretboard
    • 1.625" nut (standard P-bass profile)
    • It's Made by Fender (name is on the headstock... learn to read snobs... learn to f-ckin' read...)
    Average used price: $250 +/- $25

Fender MIM '50s Classic:
    • Standard bent plate bridge with threaded saddles (more flexibility for string & pickup pole-piece alignment - saddles are also thinner for lower action)
    • 2-Tone Sunburst, Vintage Blonde, Black, and Fiesta Red
    • Reverse Tuners (no difference other than they tune by turning the other way - slightly heavier than standard tuners, too)
    • MIA Standard pickup (Vintage or Modern tones)
    • Alder bodies (more durable than basswood - better looking grain on burst and transparent finishes than basswood - slightly heavier - less gripe from tone-wood fanatics)
    • Glossed neck (again... steel wool if you don't like it)
    • Maple fretboard only (rosewood lovers be damned!)
    • 1.75" nut radius (neck is flat and wide - more room for pocket playing - makes things slightly difficult for fast runs, but this will vary player-to-player)
    • It's Made By Fender
    Average Used Price: $500 +/- $75

That's just my opinion. Skip MIM Standards all together. Both the CV & Classics are fantastic players, but from my experience, a MIM Classic P-bass made me sell all my CV basses - no regrets.

20. ksandvik

ksandvik

The lower the price point, the more variations you will find so you need to hunt down a good Squier or MIM. That's how it is, less QA to save costs and more acceptance for weight differences and build blemishes.

PS: I do have a MIA Fender but lately I've been dragging the Squier VM 77 to a lot of gigs/jams...

21. VintageBoutique

VintageBoutique Banned

I heard the newer MIM standard basses are now made of basswood(which I think is great for fretless) just like the Made in China CV series. The CV series is a much better deal for a bass that is just as good(with a change of tuners).