1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Squire CV Jazz control mounting hole size?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by petrus61, Jan 29, 2014.

1. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Does anyone know what the mounting hole diameter for the pots is on the Squier CV Jazz basses? Also curious which mini pots others have used as a direct drop in replacement.
  2. petrus61

Anyone? I was thinking Bourns, but I'm not sure of the exact Alpha pots that are used as far as diameter goes. The CTS mini's would require widening the mounting holes on the control plate, which is what I want to avoid.
  3. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

Bourns fit my VMJ fine. As you said, CTS will need widening.
  4. petrus61

Thanks. I'm just hoping the VM and CV share the same plates. Is there a part # you could refer me to? Thanks.
  5. 96tbird

I don't think you need to worry about it that much. There's only two sizes available in the world for audio pots: metric and inches. Manufacturing just couldn't deal with more sizes.
  6. petrus61

Which Bourns did you go with? I see some with 3/8 shafts which would require widening, and some that just say 6mm.
  7. 96tbird

6mm. I put a blend pot in the jazz.
  8. petrus61

Excellent, thanks. One last question being did you use the existing knobs or have to buy new ones that fit the Bourns? I know Squier typically use push on but I've heard conflicting reports. In any case, I could just go solid shaft and use set screw US knobs but it would be nice if I could utilize the push on's.

I'm just trying to purchase the whole deal at once so I'm not stuck with parts that don't fit. I guess if a US or MIM control plate was a drop in for the CV, that would make life much easier for me as I could then just use the CTS minis.
  9. 96tbird

The knobs fit fine. The VMJ comes with chrome domes and I wanted jazz knobs. I ordered a cheap set of push on jazz from Hong kong and they fit perfectly. Just Like the threaded part, the knurled shafts are standardized metric. No worries.
  10. petrus61

Thanks. So Bourns 6mm split shaft mini it is.
  11. rojo412

rojo412 You're entering a world of bass... Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    If you ever have to do it, the larger pots are 3/8" and it takes seconds to drill it out. You can use any pot you want after you widen the holes.
  12. petrus61

I was just wondering if there was a direct drop in aside from the stock Alpha that came with it. I don't want to purchase a step bit if I don't have to. I'm up to my ears in 3/8 CTS and was thinking of using Bourns in this model because of the fast torque, but Fender denied me the pot sizes in an e-mail and I had to return the bass STAT because of a wonky truss nut issue and detached pup lead (brand new...thanks Squier).

If anything I'll keep it stock until I need to and measure when i het the new one. Why is it so hard to find measurements online of Squier pots when so many folks replace them?
  13. 96tbird

Simply because it's not a big thing to widen a hole if need be when you select your desired pots. You don't even need a step bit: the sizes are so close that the mild steel metric hole easily enlarges with an appropriate SAE regular twist bit at slow speed. Takes moments: screw jazz plate into a scrap of lumber that you can hold onto (or the kitchen table, or door frame or China cabinet or nearest tree) and drill the hole out. After, you can always put in smaller pots and they still work fine in the bigger holes.
  14. petrus61

I was more concerned about the pot bodies actually fitting into the cavity. There seem to be some who say they are too big and some who say they just make it in. I'll have to see when I get the next one I guess. I know sometimes the pot touching the shielded cavity can be an issue and I really didn't want to have to route extra wood out, but no biggie. I'd prefer the full size pots anyway so if the cavity is big enough, I'll just widen the holes.
  15. 96tbird

Sorry Petrus, I get you now. Here's why I think some would fit for some people and not others.

During assembly, they likely lay the pickups in the routes and lay the PG down. Then align by eye and screw them in. Then they would screw the control plate on. This is likely done all by eye so alignment with the control cavity would vary. Put big pots in there and they may hit one side when you try to screw it back down.

Overall though, the route is wide enough for big pots, so some luck out on the alignment and it all works out.

The solution is simple: use a Dremel with a large round sanding barrel to remove a little wood from the offending side until it fits nice.