Squire/Fender history buffs.....help please.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by g4string, Mar 11, 2014.

1. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

So I bought this body of CL on the assumption it was a 98' MIM alder P body. Upon further inspection, it appears it is more than likely a Squire body. The US nickel sized indentation/hole on the backside of the body/heel vs being inside of the neck pocket screams Squire. Although, I am not a Fender history buff, so I really dont know for certain if MIM Fender put the heel hole on the body side instead of the pocket like you traditionally see. Additionally, I see 1980 for a date stamp (or what looks like a date stamp) insde the neck pocket instead of 1998 like I had originally though. So I really have no idea if this MIM, MIC, MIJ, MIK, MII, Fender, Squire, etc, etc. The only thing I can rule out is its not MIA, lol!

I'm trying to date this body, figuire out it's country of origin, and hopefully ID the wood type. Thoughts?

FWIW, loaded it weighs about 6lbs. electronics look Squire'ish...as does the bridge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. g4string

3. KyleSerlington

KyleSerlington

i can't offer much help, but if it really is a 98 mim or squier then there's no way it's an alder body. MIM's used Poplar back then and the fender catalogs back then didn't specifically list what squier used, it was just listed as solid hardwood.

4. gary m

gary m

I'm thinking basswood for the Squiers of the period. This may indeed be one of them.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. g4string

Date stamp is stumping me too. Wiki on Squier states that the 1st production run wasn't till 82'. So there is no way this is an 80'....plus it just doesn't look like a 35yo body. Either way, thanks for the info.

7. g4string

I'm reading OCT 25 on the first line and, what looks like 1980 below it. Did USA fender ever put that divit/hole on the body side of the heel? Could this be a USA body? That 1980 stamp confuses me the most.

8. gary m

gary m

You may be able to get some info from the pots and/or pickup...USA electronics would have some markings or numbers.

9. g4string

Tru dat. Don't know if USA still serializes pick guards, or if they did in 80. But the pickguard on this guy has no SN -and- the electronics look bottom barrel to me. So yah, prob not USA.