squire j bass sound and pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by hharda9791, Nov 3, 2012.

1. hharda9791

hharda9791

I am new and have been taking bass lesson for 9 months. I like james jameson and marcus miller sound. I am getting flat sound with my squire j bass. My instructor tells me I have some cheap pick ups. Should I change them or is it not worth it. I have looking for a used MIM Fender precision bass. Should I just wait save my money for that?

Howard

2. mowburger

mowburger

Altho most squiers can be massaged into great playing and sounding basses, a MIM is a positive and more noticable upgrade, I would make due with the squier untill you have enough for the P,get the MIM P, then upgrade the Squier.

Just my 2 cents.

3. Peepaleep

Peepaleep Supporting Member

Is your instructor the one who does not like the sound, or do you not like the sound? If s/he does not like the sound but you do, there's nothing to be concerned about - keep things the way they are. Your instructor does not have to like your sound, but you do.

If you don't like the sound, do you like the feel of the neck? The body? Does it play well after a setup? If so, there's no need to get another bass (said by a man who suffers constant GAS pains).

Does changing your strings not "fix" the problem?

If you've looked at all the other factors and you conclude that you like the bass but the sound is still not to your liking, then I would consider changing the pickups.

It does not hurt to have a second bass though - a used MIM is more than adequate and they can be had for around $300.

4. Bobster

Bobster

I would recommend trying different strings rather than making an instrument change at this point.

Squier Affinity instruments are the lowest level of Squier and even they don't sound "bad" with stock hardware and pickups.

Looks like you are trying to get a brighter sound. So make sure you are using a light-guage, roundwound string.

Best of luck

Bob

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Nasty Nate

Nasty Nate

Marcus Miller and James Jamerson represent the two opposite ends of the spectrum of bass sound, and there are very few instruments that can do both well. A MIM P will get you close to Jamerson's sound with flats. It will not sound like Marcus Miller.

I'd keep the squier, and save for another instrument if that is what you want. But go play as many basses as you can and see what you like before buying one.

7. audioglenn

audioglenn Gold Supporting Member

I agree with many of the opinions stated. If you like your tone and your instructor doesn't, then, don't change anything. If you have never heard your instructor's rig, I would ask him if you can hear it sometime. It always helps to know this about any instructor. It's not their fault. It's just a human nature thing.
    If you don't like your sound, definitely experiment with different strings. Keep notes about each set you try. I have many of my basses strung with different strings for that very reason...the tonal differences are amazing. I put a piece of white paper artists tape on the back of the headstock with the date and string info written on it. That tape is the best because it doesn't leave any glue residue the bass.
    One more thing...if you can do buy another bass and can afford to keep the Squier, do so. Many players have found that they never should have sold one of their previous instruments and regret it. Just keep playing and listening and don't forget why you started playing...because you enjoy it!

8. hharda9791

hharda9791

I am learning that the better I get the better it sound. I will keep practicing and hold off buying anything. Thanks and I appreciate all the advice.

9. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

DANGER!!!!!! At your level, you could probably find some used pickups on eBay that would make a noticable improvent. But, you will be forever sucked into modifying and defining the bass as your own. With even medium dedication to this craft, you will eventually spend too much, compared to street prices of a storebought. But for me? It's worth it.

10. Cadfael

Cadfael

Wich Squier? Affinity, Standard, VM, CM +++

I have a Squier Standard Jazz Bass.
    ATTENTION! Both PUs have the same dimension! At the bridge is a "neck sized" J pickup!
    I equiped my Squier Std. with Fender 095 Flatwounds. Jamerson mostly played a P bass? But the sound I get is a great 60s Motown sound!

I have a Squier Std. Jazz Bass in Candy Apple Red. I put both covers on, the 60s knobs, the third pin on the rear headstock and the "lower thumb rest" (tigbar) ...
    I wouldn't change the PUs!

By the way ...
    The Squier Std. basses (+/- 2005) have 8 magnets per PU! These are not only iron cylinders with a magnet under them!

11. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah VERY enthusiastic walks... Supporting Member

Media:
    +1

You will be incredibly surprised to see how much change a different set of strings can make on an instrument. I've had basses destined for the garbage bin that were saved by new set of strings...almost pinched myself to make sure I was playing the same bass lol