Squire necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tedward, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Tedward

Tedward Supporting Member

I don't know if this is the right forum for this topic but, here goes. What is the difference in the Squire bass necks? Like the Affinity, CV, and VM.

Tedward
  2. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    As far as I'm concerned, Squier necks exhibit differing levels of disposability.
  3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

This is the wrong forum. You want the "training to be a knight" forum.
  4. Tedward

No real answers?

Tedward
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. WalterBush

WalterBush

Are you asking about finish, shape, or what?

I work for the local Fender dealer here in Yuma. The immediately obvious difference is Affinity necks are sealed only, VM necks (mostly) have a standard Poly finish, and CV necks have a thick, yellow poly finish meant to look like the heavily lacquered Fender necks of yesteryear.

Shape varies on individual model more than series.
  7. hover

hover

First off, it's SQUIER...I don't understand why this mistake pops up almost daily here.

That said, I think at the core of the issue, it's quality of material and finishing efforts...I'd consider the affinity series the least quality materials-wise, then the CV and VM are on-par with each other, being a step up in wood grade, possibly, but the CV's are usually thicker gloss-poly finished, whereas the VM's are very thin-satin poly finished....

But yeah, I agree with Turock... ;)
  8. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

Also Affinitiess and VMs have medium jumbo frets, CVs have vintage style frets.
  9. audioglenn

audioglenn Gold Supporting Member

I have had not problems with them. I have a couple of the Affinity necks that play great. I've got seven of the VM Jazz basses and all of the necks are great. Keep in mind that I'm saying this under the tag, "for the price you pay." When you play a real Fender neck, you'll notice the difference.
  10. Tedward

Thanks for the strait forward answers

Tedward
  11. sailri

sailri

Because it is pronounced exactly like a real word - so people spell the word.
    They don't know the name is spelled differently.

Sort of like if Leo's last name was "Fendre" and you couldn't understand why people were spelling it like the part of your car called a "fender".
  12. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man. Supporting Member

It is a real word. Squier is the surname of the founder of the Squier instrument company; a luthier, founded in the early 20th century. They evolved into a string company and made stick strings for the early Fenders. Do you want people spelling your name wrong? Is your name a real word? It's particularly inexplicable when owners write Squire; that's just weird.

People seem to prefer making excuses over actually learning something and improving their skills. It never used to be that way. Such is life.
  13. hover

hover

SAILRI, I KNOW IT'S A REAL WORD, I ADDED A WINKY AND EVERYTHING. :smug:..but seriously...it's a bit of laziness that perpetuates the error over and over (edit: yes, exactly what TBird said above).

Really, anyone who has done any kind of digging into the issue enough to even ask of the brand would at some point find out the spelling change. All I'm saying. No big whup in the bigger picture, it just seems crazy that it still happens so often.
  14. Raymeous

Raymeous

I have a 2010 Squier P-bass Special.

The Affinities feel cheap to me, while the other Squiers seem to be given a little bit more attention in the set up department.
  15. wraub

wraub

Disclosures:
    I'll have an IPA, please.
    Not all Squiers are the same. Mine are MIJ from the 80s, and the necks are awesome.

Recent ones vary in quality, but the originals just rock.

Just sayin.'

wraub
  16. lavmonga

lavmonga Supporting Member

Ha! Awesome!
  17. skychief

skychief Gold Supporting Member

My MIK Squier Jazz neck is junk. After repeated attempts to fix excessive bow using truss rod adjustment, Ive come to the conclusion this neck would be better suited as a club-type weapon to be stowed behind the driver's seat.

That said, the rest of the bass is very nice. Just the neck is bad. I noticed that its considerably thinner (cross section) than my '73 Jazz. That might have something to do with it...not sure really.
  18. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

My VM Jag neck is very nice. Thin and narrow and has a real smooth and light satin finish on the back.

No problems at all except it needs a little more attention on adjustments. Thats if you change strings alot and/or the weather changes as well. No big deal if you can handle adjusting your truss rod. Probably has something to do with the necks size and mass.
  19. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

I have used several Affinity Squier necks in project basses and have not had any problems. Not as good in fit and finish as MIM or the other nicer Squier models but not all that bad in my experience.