1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Squire P Bass gets a new lease on life

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bassgod76, Sep 15, 2009.

1. bassgod76

bassgod76 Cort bassist by obligation Supporting Member

I recently acquired a Squire P Bass for $30 from a dude on Craigslist. I wasn't really holding out that much hope for this low cost addition, but I thought it would be a fun mod platform.

[​IMG]

I took it to Kevin Kaufman to have him check it out. I really didn't want to dump a bunch of parts into something with a structural crack or tweaked neck.

I don't know what Kevin did, but this bass played and sounded like a dream. It's old and beat up, but it has a ton of character. Plus it bumps.

With a few mods, this thing will rock.

First, tear down.
    I was told that the bass was from the Early 1990's, but the stamp says December 2000. What surprised me was the amount of crud and debris in the neck pocket.

[​IMG]
  2. bassgod76

Upon further inspection I noticed the signs that this bass was an inexpensive import.

First, many of the screws for the pick guard were drilled twice, like the manufacturer screwed up.

[​IMG]

Filling the voids with toothpicks.

[​IMG]

So I broke out wood glue and toothpicks and went to work. I decided to fill all the holes and start fresh. I took a power sander and leveled out the glued toothpicks.

[​IMG]
  3. blendermassacre

blendermassacre

gotta love mod platform for 30 bucks. I wouldn't be surprised if the pickguard holes were from someone putting a different pickguard on it that was for MIM or mia or something else.
  4. bassgod76

I hate those cheap, small diameter Squire tuners. They usually break, and their small stems on that big Fender headstock make it look disproportionate. I will be adding some Hipshots I had laying around. The difference between the Squire and Hipshot tuners is like night and day.

[​IMG]

Another example of cheap hardware on Squire instruments. Notice the fake screws that don't actually go into the wood.

[​IMG]
  5. bassgod76

The small holes in the headstock will require me to plug them and re-drill Fender sized holes. Besides, I love having an excuse to use a drill press. To get the dowel rods to fit, I had to drill the headstock holes slightly larger. :hyper:

[​IMG]

The dowel rods go in with some coaxing.

[​IMG]
  6. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Gravity Picks
    Man, this shows the new Squiers are like Foderas against this old stuff.. Wow!
  7. bassgod76

After sanding the rods down, the neck is put away to dry.

[​IMG]

Turning my attention back to the body; I've always wanted to try installing thru-body stringing on a bass. I have an American Fender Deluxe bridge on hand, I realize I will have to fill some holes to accommodate a three-hole deluxe bridge.

[​IMG]
  8. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Just a BassGuy! Gold Supporting Member

Cool Project!
  9. GerManson

GerManson Supporting Member

suscribed!!
  10. bassgod76

After many measurements and two practice runs with scraps, I fire up the drill press again. I did the top string-thru holes, and filled two of the original mounting holes.

[​IMG]

Here's the last of the holes on the back to fit the ferrules. The idea of the tape was to minimize chipping.

[​IMG]
  11. bassgod76

After some dremel usage, the holes are ready for their ferrules. There's a little chipping around the hole, but I think the lip on the ferrule will cover it.
    Not too bad for a ******. ;)

[​IMG]

I haven't drilled the other two screw holes for the bridge as I am waiting for the toothpick/glue filled hole to dry.

The ferrules fit nicely.

[​IMG]
  12. speedkills

speedkills

No wonder so many people have an anti-Squier attitude!! What junk hardware and those fake screws?!?!?! ***??

My Squier P (2006) is NOTHING like that!!
  13. bassgod76

When I started playing, Squire was such a crap instrument. The quality is so much better nowadays. Hopefully with some TLC, this bass will match her newer counterparts.
  14. bassgod76

I just bought my electronics today! I hope to have her shielded by Sunday. Combined with the SD 1/4 Pounders I bought, this should sound and feel nice.
  15. bassgod76

This weekend was very productive for my Squire project. I Sanded down the body, because the finish looks so thick, bright, and cheap looking. I also decided to try some relicing. She doesn't look so "importish" anymore.

[​IMG]

The rear

[​IMG]

I also finished mounting the bridge. Looks pretty nice to me.

[​IMG]
  16. bassgod76

Also, I filled and re-drilled new holes for the pickguard. Next, I cleaned up that dirty-ass neck pocket. It seems that the factory left the old tape residue used to mask the neck pocket during paint.

[​IMG]

After I did that, I prepped the cavity for shielding. I got rid of some of the rough paint and wood patches that would hamper the shielding from sticking to the cavity.

[​IMG]
  17. bassgod76

Lastly, I shielded the cavity and pickguard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I went to install the pickups, but the mounting holes were drilled so badly that the screws were stressing the mounting ears on the pickup covers.

I will fill and redrill holes, later this week.
  18. THand

THand Supporting Member

subscribed!
  19. 5string5fingers

5string5fingers

Man this is awesome,and you're one of the few people who would spend this much time into a pos bass like that.I couldn't believe their were fake screws. But hey if it turns it into a killer bass? Why not? You've spent probably what 60-70 bucks so far? mostly electronics.
  20. bassgod76

I had a lot of the parts on hand, so I only had to buy ferrules and pickups. The pickus were $80, but I had a $50 GC. Including the parts I had on hand, and setup labor, this will cost me $300. Not bad for a bass which I know ruled, before.