Squire vm fretless jazz vs Fender Jaco fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassvi, Nov 2, 2013.

1. bassvi

bassvi

I really like my Squier VM fretless and I'm very curious about what makes the Fender model so much better?.....any comparisons on the two models would be helpful as I'm trying to decide if I want to invest in the Fender...tried a search but didn't turn up much. Thx
  2. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

If you haven't already, you can start by comparing the materials/parts of each one

http://www.fender.com/basses/jazz-b...tless-pau-ferro-fingerboard-3-color-sunburst/

http://www.fender.com/squier/basses...fretless-ebonol-fingerboard-3-color-sunburst/

I am sure the Fender one is made with better quality materials, but that being said, I had the VM, and for the price I don't think you can do better. The VM is a great bass at a great price. The stock pups sound good, and are easy to upgrade if you want to experiment with different jazz pups.

Good Luck!
  3. ROOTS_n_FIFTHS

ROOTS_n_FIFTHS Low end Lover since '78 Supporting Member

I owned both. Still have the Jaco.

The Jaco's extreme build quality,better pickups and finish led me to sell the Squier. That Jaco's neck really felt fantastic and I do not feel the Squier was even in its class.

*But*- I really got some nice "mwhaa" out of that Squier. I liked how I was able to move and vibrato on that 'Ebanol' neck of the Squier. I would almost say it had better "mwhaa" than the Jaco.
  4. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

I have had several ebonol necks and I am just not a fan of them anymore. At first, I love the "mwah" they are capable of, but after the strings finially scratch the surface, which for me took only a matter of a couple of months, the scratches appear to be white in colour, and while they can't be felt, to me they look hideous aesthetically and eventually will be visible from a distance. I am very OCd about keeping my basses in prestine condition, so these wear-and-tear effects of ebonol drove me nuts.

As far as mwah goes, I agree that ebonol has better mwah than a natural wood, but if you finish that wood with epoxy, then they're very quite similar. Unfortunately, there is no sort of finish, that I know of anyway, that can be applied to ebonol since is really a sort of compressed resin.
  5. Register to disable this ad