1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

SR "500 Series"

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Odyjon, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Odyjon

Odyjon

Now I noticed this over the years. I have one its a Custom Sr535. Basically reminds me of a blue and white stripped Dodge Viper from when I was a kid.

Now heres that Q. Mine is Korean. Not sure where that stands to compare to most. But we got the 5 knobs.

Now I see a lot of them now adays with only 4 knobs. Reminds me of the Warwick Rockbass controls basically.

So whats differnt? Mines got Bart Mk1's. Are the models just based on preference? or is it cost effective? The ones with the 4 knobs honestly reminds me of the 300-400 series..

So I wonder from the players stand point; those of you have different SR's. Whats the Dif? lol Aside from being able to have more sounds at your exposure.

2. Odyjon

Odyjon

and I disliked my 300 when I had it. Long Prior before they started putting "cap" pick ups in them. I beleive they were Ibanez when I had that 300.

3. bassbenj

bassbenj

I've got a SR206 and a SR506. Both have 4 knobs (though i noticed that these days SR506s seem to all come with 5 knobs.

You answered your own question. The difference is the 5 knob jobbies have a mid EQ control. And from a player's viewpoint the main effect is to change your tone. The usual bass/treble knobs obviously do change your tone, but from my experience with my Fender Jazz deluxe V those mostly let you dial in the room and the overall sound you want. But when you are playing and you want to tilt your tone this way and that it is the mid control that does the job. Basically it's the mid control that gets the work. Must be true, I already wore one out on my Fender and had to replace it.

I WISH my SR's had a mid control, but alas, they don't. So if I want to deal with that sort of thing it has to be done on the amp.

4. Odyjon

Odyjon

Right on! Thanks for the input!

5. Register to disable this ad