SR505 wiring out of phase?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Son of Bovril, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Son of Bovril

Son of Bovril

I have an Ibanez SR505 which I bought second hand and the wiring seems to be out of phase, I opened it up and it all looks stock standard, in fact it looks as if it has never been opened before... Could it have come from the factory like this? Each pickup works perfectly fine when solo'd but when blended together the 3 low strings become significantly softer than the 2 high strings? Sounds like out of phase right? How would I fix this, it should be as simple as swapping 2 wires somewhere right?

2. Son of Bovril

Son of Bovril

The pickups are bartolini Mk1 and have 2 wires each, can I just swap the wires of one of them? The white wire of each pickup goes to the blend, the black goes to the volume...

3. Crater

Crater

If they were truly out of phase it would sound extremely thin and trebly across all strings. Imagine playing your bass through an old portable transistor radio, that's what out of phase pickups sound like. Since both pickups are Bartolinis I seriously doubt they're out of phase, but yes, you can always swap the wires on one pickup to see for yourself if that's the case.

4. Son of Bovril

Son of Bovril

It's very weird, I've never experienced something like it, the D & G strings stay exactly the same but the others get much softer and thinner... I wonder if it could be the blend pot that has some kind of issue

5. Register to disable this ad