SRX350 sounds "hollow"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rydin4lifebass, Jan 7, 2014.

1. rydin4lifebass

rydin4lifebass

I've tried a variety of string combinations on my Ibanez SRX350 before settling on DR Red Devils. Regardless of the string choice, the bass just sounds "hollow". I'm tuning BEAD and I'm not sure if it's an EQ issue or if I just haven't found the right strings to give it a full "growl". Anyone experience something similar or have any suggestions?

2. JustForSport

JustForSport

Had a couple SRX 505's and an SRX 500- have similar/same ceramic pickups.
    Couldn't get any s/s or flats to sound good (IMO),
    and finally found some NPS rounds that had a good growl-
    just don't remember what they were.
    The s/s and some of the NPS rounds sounded 'hollow' as you said.
    The ones I liked went with them when I sold 'em, 'cause the one buyer liked them, and still had 'em on the others.

3. rydin4lifebass

rydin4lifebass

I had Bass Boomers (weren't "bad"), DR stainless, Ernie Ball Power Slinkys (also not "bad"), Fender Tapewounds, etc. I was thinking of trying some Ernie Ball Cobalts but I'm not sure and hate to keep throwing money at strings.

What do you mean by NPS?

4. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

NPS=nickel plated steel

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mushroo

Mushroo

Does the bass sound only sound "hollow" when both pickups are on? If so, they may be wired out of phase.

Another thought, did you have the bass properly set up when you switched from EADG to BEAD? The "hollowness" could be caused by improper pickup height, or strings not "seated" correctly in the nut-slots, for example.

"Hollow" is such a subjective term, can you give any more details/specifics?

7. rydin4lifebass

rydin4lifebass

I did have it set-up when I switched to BEAD. I've had this tuning with the EB Power slinkys and the Red Devils. I previously had standard tuning with the other strings I mentioned. The problem could very well be the way I have the knobs set. This has volume, pickup selector, bass, and treble. I just think it sounds too "thin" like there there isn't a lot of low end or low mids (maybe, just a guess) to it. It sounds best to me (subjective, I know) when I favor the neck pickup and put the bass and treble knobs up. Are there any "diagrams" of different eq knob preferences to get a certain sound I could use as a guide?

8. Mushroo

Mushroo

If your bass and treble knobs are turned way up, that explains why your mids sound hollow. ;)

Generally speaking I start with "flat" settings (on most basses, the knobs have a detent or "click" when they are flat).

If you turn up the amp a little and put the bass and treble controls back to flat/center from their current boosted setting, then I bet you will see more "punch" and "growl."

Beyond that I couldn't really give you specific EQ advice without knowing more about your band and how they are mixed. Generally speaking, having more mids will help you "cut" through a rock-band mix, while cutting or "scooping" the mids will give you that "Fieldy from Korn" sound. I am personally a mid-booster (and/or bass-cutter), but YMMV based on your artistic vision.

9. rydin4lifebass

rydin4lifebass

I know what you mean by the Fieldy reference and I'm not really a fan of his sound as it sounds "thin" and "tin-ish" to me. I suppose I'd like to have more mid-range "growl" with it but I'm not sure how to do that on a bass with only bass, treble, and pickup control knobs.

10. Mushroo

Mushroo

"Growl" is primarily achieved through playing technique, knowing how to attack the strings to bring out different colors in the midrange frequency. Maybe it would be easier to work on this in person with your teacher rather than try to describe it in words? An easy-to-explain exercise is to play something repetitive (like a scale) while gradually moving your right hand (your plucking hand, so your left hand if you're a lefty) over the entire region from the fingerboard to the bridge. You will hear how each plucking position emphasizes different midrange frequencies. Then it is a simple matter of adjusting your technique until you hear the sound in your head.

On a basic "EQ 101" level, one way to empasize mids if you don't have a mid control is to cut the bass and treble. You also probably have mid EQ on your (pre)amp. ;)

11. JustForSport

JustForSport

+1 to more mids= bass and treble cut, more vol at the amp.
    I'd leave the bass in the center and cut the treble some for starters with those pickups.
    The alnico pickups in the SRX700 series are the same size with a lot more bass and more full range-sounding but they're not real easy to find, and are probably around $50- $60 each.
    Also, try playing thru diff amps- sometimes that can be a huge factor.

12. rydin4lifebass

rydin4lifebass

Thanks for all the input. I'm closer to the sound I'm looking for by boosting the bass and cutting the treble. I also have the pickup switch more towards the neck pickup. I noticed that the pickup height of the bridge pickup is closer to the strings. I'm due for a set-up so when I take it to my shop, I'll mention something and see if they can adjust the pickup height so they're more evened out or even have the bridge pickup a little lower than the neck pickup. Again...many thanks!