1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

ss head for doom/stoner

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by korrupt3r, Dec 24, 2013.

1. korrupt3r

korrupt3r

*newby first thread*
    I know that lots of people would recommend a tube amp but the budget right now is low. i have some heads in my mind(***) and I'd like to hear your opinions. I 'd also like to say that i need one to stand next to a 120w of a guitar tube amp with pride. :D

so here's the list:
    1. Ampeg PF-500(i heard that is kinda weak yet it comes to power)
    2. TC Electronic BH500
    3. Hartke LH500
    4. Gallien Krueger RB 700-II
    and some old guys:
    5. Peavey Mark III (BH 400)
    6. SWR Bass 350

2. Pelham Bleu

Pelham Bleu All you need is fuzz. Supporting Member

3. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Those are all great heads and none of them are limited to any style of music, but for what you're trying to achieve, I think the GK would probably put you there most easily.

4. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

I had the LH500, they are 500 watts of clean power and they go used in perfect condition for like 250$. Only drawback was the Fender EQ stack, IMO.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    To go up against stupid bassy guitar, you want to concentrate on cab and mids, head itself matters not so much, as long as you can boost mids (stuff like the Orange Bass Terror and LH500 have cut only mid control), and going lower than it is down to the cab.

7. kleinenenten

kleinenenten

Gk 700RB-II!!!! It's incredibly versatile overall, but I can get some great doom out of it. Plenty of power and punch, great EQ, awesome features. Can't go wrong IMO.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Might take a look at the PF800 or SVT 7 Pro if you don't think the PF500 is enough. Wouldn't believe everything you hear, though...the PF500 will get plenty loud. However, the 800 is a cannon, so it would probably be more up your alley.

9. skulletwhip

skulletwhip

The older Peavey "Mark" series are loud as hell, can overdrive pleasantly, built tough and are cheap to come by.

10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

No bad choice in that bunch, just different. Any one of which would work in a stoner rock setting, just roll off the highs.

11. Figjam

Figjam

Another nod to peavey mark series. I use a mark IV for that kind of stuff. I run a Peavey 215D sometimes paired with an additional svt810.

12. D.M.N.

D.M.N.

I'd keep an eye out for any of the old Acoustic Control Corp heads. Those things are right up the stoner/doom alley.

13. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

For near total reliability, a sansamp RPM and any two old power amps. Gas milage may reduce.

14. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized greenboy designs builder
    The GK or the Peavey for sure.

Good luck!

15. Sartori

Sartori

Old Peavey Mark series heads. The Mark IV is the one I have some experience with. Loud, as long as you don't mind fuzz, and built like a tank.

Naturally, you're going to want as much speaker as possible.

16. marutizhiyi

marutizhiyi

I use a mark IV for that kind of stuff.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

17. korrupt3r

korrupt3r

I've found a used RB700-II here where i live for 520$ and the Peavey Mark III for 615$.
    I will probably get to hear them in the next week or so. I know that there are a lot of bargains on Ebay from the US but the shipping cost are big for Greece. Plus heads like Hartke are not available in a shop here to test it. :/
    The LH-500 comes new for 478$.
    I think i have a headache.
    OH! AND MERRY CHRISTMAS!

18. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

How about a used Carvin B1500?
    You will never run out of headroom and it is tonally capable of doing anything you want.

It's a big heavy head but so is its tone.

19. eyeballkid

eyeballkid

Disclosures:
    Records of Existence/PyrE owner
    Of your choices the gk is the only choice. But if you can find a fender Bassman 1200 or the Sunn 1200s you are set!!

20. svlilioukalani

svlilioukalani

Opinions here are like butt holes, everybody has one. After enough time on TalkBass you get to know a few names you trust. JimmyM is one I trust.

As a gigging musician who plays in several bands, I have several rigs. My rig with a Hartke LH500 kicks butt. Very dependable and loud and sounds good. I sold off all of my GK gear the day I tried a Genz Benz amp. GK is good stuff, and fairly dependable. But not my 1st or even 3rd choice.

Run from the Peavey. It will outlive you, but the tone is not there.

21. kleinenenten

kleinenenten

JimmyM, B-String, and a few others are some solid dudes around here. When I see both of them recommending something, I know it's good! They have differing tastes (obviously, as do we all) but they both give sage advice and are more than happy to help.