1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

SS Playing Speed?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Felix Riley, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Felix Riley

Felix Riley

So, I play a short scale bass (Gibson SG), and I am thinking of buying an MM Bongo, but I was wondering: are full scale basses easier to play fast on, because of the more string tension? I play technical prog, so playability is important to me. Also, are Bongos easy to play? Just a side question. Help :help:

2. Bingo

Bingo Banned

John Myung. He gets pretty technical on a Bongo.

Dave LaRue. Bad man on a Bongo.

Yovannis Roque - a bad man I just found on Ernie Ball web site

That's just a few examples of bad, bad men who play them. I'm sure others will chime in with plenty more artists. The point is, playability doesn't seem to be an issue for these basses. Go for it.

3. Felix Riley

Felix Riley

Yeah I was thinking Myung too. Love DT!

4. Monster Truck

Monster Truck groove student Supporting Member

Do you mean (specifically) strings not hitting the frets from plucking really fast with your plucking hand?

I play faster with a short scale bass because the frets are smaller, and shorties are all-around more comfortable than full scales. Also the lesser string tension of short scales force me to play with a lighter touch.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You can get used to anything. Stanley Clarke plays short scales and nobody accuses him of being hampered by it.

7. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    I can't really comment much on the Short Scale part of this.
    But I can comment on the Bongo part.
    If you can, they are definitely worth every single penny - in any of the pickup combinations. My favorite is HS followed very closely by HH. For fretless I like having the piezo to dial in. Still gotta get my hands on a single H as well.

But anyway - I can't sing the praises enough about Bongos, and they are discussed here quite a bit. They are super comfortable, and I can play extremely technical riffs on my 5 and 6 string ones with supreme ease.

8. bigmoosepi

bigmoosepi

if the tension on a short scale is too low put higher gauge strings on it. Thats the best thing about SS basses.

9. lz4005

lz4005

There isn't more tension on long scale. It all depends on what kind of strings you're using.

10. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'm a Fuzzrocious-aholic. It's been one week since I bought my last Fuzzrocious pedal.
    Go to a concert of Bethoveen's 9th symphony and you will see that speed has nothing to do with scale and everything to do with technique.