SS string with superior midrange

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Dugachug, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Dugachug

Dugachug

is there any brand of stainless steel strings that i can use to increase my midrange? currently using blue steels i hear that ernie ball stainless steel would be a good option. Opinions appreciated! :hyper:
  2. Toptube

Toptube

I like Rotosound Swingbass 66 stainless steels. Roto's whole line is known for its rich mid range.
  3. The Nameless

The Nameless

Try DR Marcus Miller Fat Beams, too. I'm a die hard D'addario ProSteel user, and love the mids in those strings, but a recent gift has a set of 'Beams on my main bass. Mids are SUPER strong, especially after they break in slightly. I was surprised at the string sets tone, mids all over, and sweet tone all around. If ya want mids? These could be the ticket.
  4. Seejay

Seejay

They're not Stainless Steel, But have you tried Ernie Ball Cobalts? Shedloads of Midrange imo, Used to love Stainless strings but Cobalts are now my go to string, definately worth a try
  5. madbassplaya

madbassplaya Supporting Member

6. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction Supporting Member

I'm not trying to be a d#&$, just offering another point of view: Have you considered playing the strings you like and making adjustments at the EQ? What i mean is- I haven't found a make of string yet that I couldn't tame with some eq'ing. So I typically buy what sounds good and feels good to me overall and then eq to suit my needs.

That said, I agree with Seejay- the Ernie Ball Cobalts have "shedloads" of midrange.
  7. lowendfriend

lowendfriend

DR SS Flatwounds....just put them on my new Jazz and they are sweet.
  8. bassbombs84

bassbombs84

+1 to roto 66's and some EQ
  9. MissTheTrain

MissTheTrain

10. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I was under the impression that he used the SS as well, but in a discussion a few months back, it was brought to my attention that one of the sources just posted the picture of the SS strings and never actually specified if it was the Nickel or the SS Hybrid Slinkies.
  11. MissTheTrain

MissTheTrain

12. capncal

capncal

+2 on the Roto swing 66. I also really liked my blue steels but my next set of rounds will be the Roto 66.
  13. Dugachug

Dugachug

I have never tried Cobalts on bass before but i tried them on guitar they went dead so fast it wasn't even funny :eek: also the mids on my EQ are maxed but it is just not enough(that's odd).
  14. Dugachug

Dugachug

15. seang15

seang15 Supporting Member

It's the strings, has nothing to do with the Wal :bag:
  16. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Supporting Member

What amp and bass guitar are you using?
  17. GLEN18INCHSPICA

GLEN18INCHSPICA

Blue Steels have decent midrange, however the Rotosounds might have more of the mids you are looking for. I remember Labella Hard Rockin steels having decent midrange just a bit less bright than Rotos. I found the D'addario Prosteels to be shy in the mids.
  18. Dugachug

Dugachug

nothing pro just recently got into playing bass guitar after playing guitar for 5 years, i have a fender bronco 40 amp with an Ibanez gsr200. :bag:
  19. Dugachug

Dugachug

I must say i enjoy bass more than guitar. ^-^
  20. Dugachug

Dugachug

you'd like to think so :crying: