1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Stacked Pot Problem for SQ VM Jag Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RoccoCasagrande, Dec 7, 2012.

1. RoccoCasagrande

RoccoCasagrande

I have a Squire Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass (the one with the black body and matching headstock) with a stacked concentric volume and tone pot for each pickup.

The stack for the neck pickup keeps fading out on me. A slight tap on it often clears it up, but I don't want to gig with this bass because of this problem.

I have sprayed it with contact cleaner a couple of times - but this didn't fix it.

What causes this? How can I fix it?
  2. Fuzzbass666

Fuzzbass666

Have to be honest, I ended up changing them because of the "spinning loose" problem. Which was a pain because the replacements had a different shaft width, so then I had to change the knobs as well. It's probably the only weak point in an otherwise great bang for buck guitar.
  3. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast. Supporting Member

Sounds like a bad pot. Measure the shaft size and overall height of the pot and order a new one. Should not be very expensive.
  4. INTP

INTP

I had a problem on mine where the contacts on the pots were touching the shielding in the control cavity. I put an insulator (a sticky note) to make sure it didn't contact the sides and the problem went away.

It's possible that you're having a similar problem, and tapping it causes it to temporarily shift and change the contact. It's something to try, anyway...
  5. RoccoCasagrande

RoccoCasagrande

I am really disappointed. Replacing the bad stacked pot for the neck pickup is not an easy job, there are a lot of connections in a very tight space. This job requires patience, a steady hand, good eyesight, and the ability to work with surgical precision. I don't think I am going to try replacing this. I will just use the bridge pickup.

Maybe someday, I might modify the bass so that it has three knobs - a volume for each pickup and a master tone control - just like my main bass. I have a 72 Fender Jazz bass that I bought in 1974. I have never ever had any problems with this instrument. It is a reliable workhorse that has never failed me.
  6. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

I had the same issue. I tried putting electrical tape as a buffer, then candle wax, still kept having the problem. Ordered some new CTS concentric pots with new knobs (like stated above, the old knobs won't fit the CTS pots) and, not only have I yet to have the issue again, this bass has never sounded better. The turn motion is solid and silky smooth now, and I kick myself for not doing it sooner.

True, there are a fair amount of connections to make, but it really isn't that difficult or time consuming considering the end result of a great playing experience. As always, make a good diagram before you take things apart, because wiring schematics that actually match the factory setup are almost impossible to come by.

EDIT: I wouldn't modify anything outside of the factory knob/wiring setup. The stock pickups are not like typical p/j schemes; they don't play with alternate or more traditional wiring. I would just plan to replace both pot stacks and the input jack all at once. It's actually easier than trying to use a lot of the existing stuff, though I think I did reuse the wires and the caps. Again, having the quality pots and jack are a huge difference, and this bass is my fun-playing work horse again.
  7. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

You can't be disappointed in some pots that went bad in a sub-$300 bass that otherwise looks and plays awesomely, and you reaaaally can't compare it to buying a jazz bass in 1974.