stacking Ampeg SVT-410HLF and SVT-15E?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by amatto82, Sep 3, 2010.

1. amatto82

amatto82

I was considering getting rid of my SVT 810 and getting the 1X15 and 4X10HLF. Does anyoneone know if you can stack these amps? Ampegs come equiped with the 4 pegs but dont know if they line up in the holes with this combo. thanks

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    bad idea for a couple reasons. the 410hlf will already be twice as loud and go way lower than the 115e, and if you use them together with your cl, the 410hlf is 4 ohms and the 115e is 8 ohms, and that means the 410hlf will get twice as much wattage as the 115e, drowning it out even more. if you like the sound of your 810e but just want it split into two cabs, get two 410he's. if you would rather have the big low end of the 410hlf cab, get two of them. it'll be way heavier than the 810e and a pita to stack, though. however, the 410hlf does a pretty darn good job all by itself so you may not need more than one. but mixing the 410hlf and 115e is a very bad idea.

3. Marko5657

Marko5657 Supporting Member

+1

4. rbonner

rbonner

I always wanted to try two SVT-410HLF's. One moves so much air it's amazing. They can be stacked but it takes a little creativity to get the top one to stay put. Sure two would be heavier than a single 810, but the 410 has side handles and when doing setup and tear down there's always people around.

The limitation of the 410 cabs is the horns. They crap out before the 10" speakers fart out. But that cab doesn't have highs at all... Maybe adding a midrange in the center would be cool. I should look at that closer. A small cab with a couple six inchers that sits on the top of the bottom cab and the top cab sits on the top of that would be sort of interesting and very doable.

But the 115 idea isn't a good one. BOB

BOB

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

HUGE +1 to all above. That would be the worst pairing of 2 cabs that I could imagine. Go with 2x SVT410he's, or a single 410hlf.

7. amatto82

amatto82

thanks for all the input. I was just under the impression that yes I would be sacrificing volume with the change cause of less surface area but tonaly you would get more low end from a larger speaker. Guess I was wrong

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    yep, between porting methods and speaker building techniques, you really can't make generalizations based solely on speaker size.

9. hkrobster

hkrobster

hi folks,

thank you for the interesting and helpful info in this forum, and particulary this thread. I'd like to just pick up on this thread.

I too would like to pair a 410 hlf with a sub. I understand the non-sense of pairing a 410hlf with a 115 running from one head. But I intend to run a 410 hlf (to replace my current 4x10) with my existing 18inch 8ohm sub and run them off my 1970s solton craaft active-crossover preamp and a two-channel 300w power amp. Would this make more sense? As I have a stereo PA head I do not have the issues of the 4x10 getting twice as much wattage as the sub, I can control them separately. I like the depth of the 18" but it might be a mute point if the 410 hlf does all the groundwork i need, in which case i'll just not use the 18". I can also get a second 410 hlf and not worry about the 2ohms total impedance as again I can run them over separate PAs. Am I making sense? The reason I'd prefer the hlf to the 410he now is that I can leave the 18" sub at home for smaller gigs and just run the hlf as a single. Which apparently rocks. Thanks for any input. I hope someone is still watching this thread :)
    rob

10. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice

Disclosures:
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    With a 410HF it's very unlikely the 18 will add anything except more volume; it won't give lower extension, and crossing them over rather than running both full range will only lessen your low end output.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    +1. the 410hlf stands alone imho.

12. Koog

Koog Supporting Member

I agree this is not a good combination. Several years ago I tried an Ampeg 2X10 with an Ampeg 1X15 using an SVT Classic head. The sound was flabby....no punch and not focused. I got rid of that set up and went to an 6X10 HLF cab with the SVT. It was one of the best set ups I ever played. (Been playing 47 years).

About a year ago I sold the Ampegs because of the weight and bought a Mark Bass setup. The power unit is a CMD 102P Combo and the extension cab is a STD 102HF. I stack them and this gives me 4X10. This set up sounds exceptional. I like it as well as the SVT with the 6X10 HLF. And, the bonus is that each Mark Bass unit weighs only about 45 pounds, which is 1/4 the weight of the Ampeg set up. The guys in the band love the tone this set up achieves, it has always cut the mix....60+ shows with it in 2010, and they like it even better when the time comes to load the trailer.

So, bottom line is use the 4X10 alone, go to the 6X10, or if you want to buy equipment, give Mark Bass a test drive.

Koog.

13. hkrobster

hkrobster

Thanks for that. Can you tell me why that is that will lower my low end output? Does crossing over compromise the quality of each channel (hpf and lpf)? Sorry, I'm a learning noob...

14. Koog

Koog Supporting Member

One more thing....Look at the frequency ranges the cabs with the 10 inch speakers achieve and the frequency ranges the 15 or 18 inch cabs achieve. My experience has been that the 10s can achieve nearly the same on the low range, and on the low end, you get to the point where you might be able to feel the air from the sound move, but you can't actually hear those DBs below about 45 anyway. You'll also have a bit more range on the high side of the DB measurement with the 10s. So, the point is the 10s can do the job on the low end. The 10s will cause your sound to be more focused and create more more punch.

When using this approach with 10s, it becomes very important to carefully match ohmage & wattage capability of cabs with amps to avoid overdriving speakers. Poor matching is when "farting out" and flabbyness in tone usually occurs.

So watch all the numbers....DB, wattage and ohmage....and match carefully.

Koog

15. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice

Disclosures:
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Because 1x18 plus 4x10 is louder in the low end than 1x18 alone. If you use a crossover you no longer have low frequency output from the 4x10. And if you don't need the lows that the 4x10 adds to the 1x18 you don't need a 4x10, a 2x8 would be sufficient.

16. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Shoot! Yous guys done left me nutting to say! :(

17. hkrobster

hkrobster

i get it - thank you you've been a great help!!

18. Sartori

Sartori

Crossing over and using just the sub for the low lows seems a bit silly with a 410HLF. If you're going to send the lows to something else, why haul around such a gargantuan 4x10? Especially when the HLF already excels at pumping out low frequencies.

19. Jaguar

Jaguar

Get two 115`s

20. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Im not one who usually suggests this, but you could probably get away with safely stacking 2 410HLF cabs on their sides. At least it would be stable that way and you wouldn't have to worry about the wheels causing instability. You could turn the bottom horn down as well. If you can do 2.6 ohms with your setup, you can do 2 ohms with this one. It will be as high as your 8x10 now, just wider.
    You didn't say why you wanted to change though. What are you looking to gain over the 8x10? Low end extension, or volume?

21. hkrobster

hkrobster

@wes i'm actually not the guy with the 810 that opened this thread, i have a 118 (sounds ok) and a 410 (old and faulty) which i want to replace. hence my questions what to replace it with. using the 118 seemed logical to me but now i've ordered a 410hlf so i won't be hauling the 18" cab around with me too.
    @sartori yes i guess you're right i'm just not aware of exactly how much depth the hlf has. i seem hung up on the misconception that to get more depth you need higher diameter speakers, which doesn't necessarily seem to be true. looks like i'll be using the 410hlf on its own then. thanks for your input!