stacking cabs help

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by struzycki, Jan 6, 2013.

1. struzycki

struzycki

hey people can you help me with soe info please
    ok so i was wondering what happens when you stack one 2x10 rated at 400 watts and a 2x12 rated the same both also are at 8 omes, do the watts end up being 800 or is this not the case?
    The cab i have is rated at 500 watts at 4 omes. Any information will be of so much help thanks.

2. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

I am no expert, and my terminology may be off, but 2 cabs rated at 8ohms each means your amp will need to be able to operate at 4ohms. If your amp is rated at say 800 watts @ 4ohms, then both cabs will get half of that---- 400 watts each.

3. WhoDidTheElf

WhoDidTheElf

If your amp is rated at 500 watts rms @4ohms then each cab will receive half of that or 250 watts.

Be careful with the ratings on your cabs. Those ratings are for when the voice coil melts not when you hit the xlim. Most likely the 2x10 is really limited to about 200 watts because of displacement and the 2x12 around the same maybe higher.

Use your ears. If it sounds bad it most likely is.

4. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

In all likelihood if the ratings were real your amp would be clipping out before any distortion happened in the cabs. What do you have, what are you looking at and what do you hope to achieve?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MIMike

MIMike

The answer to your question is essentially, yes. Your net power handling is basically the sum of the total cabinet capability. For instance, your 2x10 cabinet has two, 200 watt drivers in it, giving it a total rating of 400 watts.

7. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Keep in mind if your 210 cab "handles" 200 watts of INPUT power and your 212 "handles" 600 watts, the total system input handling power only equals 400 watts. Twice the lowest power rating for two cabs, three times the lowest for three cabs and so on.

8. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder