Stacking cabs

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Deaky, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Deaky

Deaky

Hi

Do any of you guys worry about stacking a combo onto a cab that it may damage the cab? The combo just feels to me a bit heavy to be putting it on top of a cab!

I have a 1x12 combo with a 1x12 ext cab.

Thanks

Deaky

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Maybe I've led a sheltered life but I've never heard of an ext. enclosure crushed / damaged / deformed by the "mother ship" perched on top.

Riis

3. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Media:
    No. But I also don't worry about scuffs and normal wear and tear on most anything.

4. Deaky

Deaky

Me neither but if it's a risk of causing damage to the internal structure or cone then I don't wanna go there.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lz4005

lz4005

You won't get anything other than some dents in the vinyl covering. And probably not even that.

7. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

8. oerk

oerk

I've never seen an amp/cab/combo, at least those with a wood enclosure, that wasn't safe to sit on. Since a combo is much lighter than the average human being - don't worry about it.

9. Deaky

Deaky

Thanks guys

10. johnpbass

johnpbass

Can't remember exactly which amp manufacturer I heard this from, but I recall hearing that a well built cab can support 3 times its weight stacked on top.

11. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    I've used my SVTs on small cabs (1x10, 1x12) in the past without any kind of issue. Considering that's an 80-ish lb amp, plus my wireless etc. sitting on top of that... yeah, you shouldn't have much/any issues.

12. Haji

Haji

I've put my 265 or so pounds on a lot of different cabs, which I consider the fault of guitar stores for not providing enough stools. Never once damaged one. Even light cabs are pretty stoutly constructed.

13. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Me neither - ever.

14. Olde Axeman

Olde Axeman

You won't (or shouldn't) have any weight/structural issues but I'd be concerned that you are doubling the vibration on the amp portion of the combo by having it in direct contact with the extension cab. I can't imagine that it's healthy for the amp.

15. Matt B

Matt B

I think that as long as the cab on the bottom does not have the drivers pointing upwards with the combo sitting directly on top of the drivers you should be just fine ;-)

16. David Cardoza

David Cardoza

I'm with Selta.. if my old original SVT "arc-welder" head didn't damage any cabinets, nothing will. (felt like it crushed my nuts a couple of times)

17. DannyBob

DannyBob

Shouldn't cause any damage at all. However, if you are worried, just sit them side by side :)

18. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Media:
    Wow. Pretty cool pic. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1397184471.341283.jpg

19. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads. Supporting Member

I have a Trace Elliot 2x10 combo that iI've stacked on top of a TE 1x15 cab for over a decade without a problem.