"Stacking" fuzz pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by shoegazebass, Dec 11, 2012.

1. shoegazebass

shoegazebass Supporting Member

I've tried a search but wasn't able to find anything. I have three fuzz pedals on my board currently - Malekko B:Assmaster, Wren and Cuff Pickle Pie B and Chunk Systems Brown Dog. Basically an "octave" fuzz, Muff clone and gated fuzz. Most of the time, I run multiple fuzzes simultaneously (sometimes with an OD in front) into one another to get more saturated sounds.

This setup is flexible but takes up a lot of real estate. I wondered if there was an all-in-one fuzz pedal that contains multiple fuzz circuits that can be turned on and off independently. If the circuits are different types, so much the better.
  2. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Look into both Devi Ever and Blackout Effectors for variations on that theme.
  3. icecycle66

icecycle66

4. slend3r

slend3r

I know the guy, sorry forget his name, over at Make Sounds Loudly Pedals has put together a couple triple fuzz boxes I've seen. He does custom work so you could probably choose what circuits you want in there.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dark Barn

Dark Barn Supporting Member

If what you have is working for you then real estate should be low on the list of considerations. I'm an advocate for separate boxes, just get more room if you need it.
  7. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

It'd be cool to have multiple stomp switches on the unit, so you can chose one or the other or both. I can think of someone that could do a custom unit. Or think about getting a custom unit that uses the circuit boards of the two fuzzes you like, and try to fit them both in one box. If it's possible, you might save space, or it might just be impossible to save space if the board is really big. The B:assmaster has a big board, so you wouldn't have that option, but you could for other, smaller pedals. Just another option to consider.
  8. sprag

sprag

shurely you could get someone to make you a box with all 3 existing circuit boards within. would prob be a big pedal but still considerably smaller than having the seperate just
    1 make sure those are the 3 your going to stick with and
    2 get the order right
  9. kevteop

kevteop

The PPB and Brown Dog are both great on bass, good choices. :)

I can imagine the size of the Malekko is a pain though.
  10. shoegazebass

Size is becoming more of an issue - I've spilled over onto another board to hold my synth chain but that is limiting flexibility. I am falling out of love with the B:Assmaster and really have only used it in tandem with other fuzzes and truth be told wonder if there's another gated fuzz I'd like better than the Brown Dog. I've only held onto it because I don't know of a better option and everyone seems to love it.

Anyways, maybe having something built for me is the way to go, but I'd love to know about other off-the-shelf options if there are any that haven't been mentioned.
  11. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

Iron Ether Oxide has a BrassMaster side and an awesome Gated Fuzz side too. But you can only use one at a time. The Oxide is smaller than either of those pedals (MXR sized). You could buy 2 Oxides and have them set differently I guess. I definitely like the Oxide better than the Brown Dog, I don't have experience with the B:Assmaster.
  12. Dark Barn

Dark Barn Supporting Member

Check out a Mountainking Magnetar, my favorite gated fuzz by far. But it's a space hog.
  13. JBNeedsBeer

JBNeedsBeer

Both of these points x1000. The magnetar is amazing, but a big space hog.
  14. fraublugher

fraublugher

empress multidrive maybe , [mxr sized]
  15. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

Multidrive has to be bigger than MXR sized and it is One Fuzz, one OD and One Distortion, not 3 fuzzes like the OP is using.
  16. odineye

odineye Supporting Member

17. shoegazebass

Ok - he's come up a few times so I've messaged him on FB to see what he thinks. Thanks!
  18. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Why not just get a multi bypass looper and physically stack your fuzzes off to the side? Maybe be extra classy and buy or make a small shelving unit. That way you can keep your favorite tones, continue experimenting with different orders and pedals, and not be locked into chasing an expensive custom unit that will likely never live up to what you want tonally.
  19. Ron Now

Ron Now Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals, Blackout Effectors
    As mentioned before the Blackout Effectors Twosome (specifically VST Modded) allows you to use both fuzzes in tandem, as well as switcht the order of how the run into eachother.

I haven't bought a fuzz since I got mine, it was a fuzz game ender for me since it could do everything I could want it to do, and more....
  20. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

+1
  21. shoegazebass

Update: I ended up talking with two custom builders - Make Sounds Loudly and a fellow TB'er. The TB'er fell out of communication after Christmas but I just received my 3-in-1 fuzz pedal from MSLP and I love it! It has an Octave Fuzz, Muff and his own Blue Whale gated fuzz along with a master bypass and feedback loop and it has so many sounds that I'm frankly overwhelmed. I think it's going to address what I was looking for.

I want to thank everyone for their feedback and advice!