Stacking up against vintage Acoustic amps

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by sturoc, Dec 12, 2012.

1. sturoc

sturoc

So how does a Trace Elliot stack up against Acoustic heads from the days of old.
    I am mainly talking tone and overall character. Not build construction or any nitpicking points.

As well, Feel free to insert any other brand amp in comparison to the old Acoustics.

Remember, opinions only please.
    This is not a "my amp is better than your amp" thread.
  2. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Well not all trace Elliot's are created equal, so it would be unfair to compare an Acoustic 370 at 220 watts with a trace v8 tube amp at
    400 watts. much of what old acoustic gear was about, was some very
    efficient and large cabinets, although the amps were good for their time.
    Today there is some very powerful lightweight amps that may perform better than old school transistor designs.:bassist:
  3. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    +1

To the OP, what are you trying to accomplish? Tonally, volume wise, portability wise...
  4. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

Owned a 370 briefly; liked it but it wasn't practical for my needs.

The SMX 12-band 300 watt 4x10 combo was, and I used it until my church upgraded our main rig. Wish I still had it but I'm more than satisfied with my current setup.

I liked the Acoustic for its vintage mojo. I liked the TE for the tone (and we all know TE watts are actually double what the rating is for a 'normal' amp) and the power. Nevermind the DI, tone pre-sets, graphic EQ, tube blend (depending on model), etc. you get the point.

However, my GK is simpler, has great tone-shaping capabilities, and the under-rated power like a TE - it's just not green and doesn't floresce under a black light, but I won't hold that against it.

YMMV
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

uh well there is always gonna be "that guy"

so here it goes.......

Nothing, I mean nothing sounds like a old blue Acoustic.

[​IMG]
  7. jazzbo58

jazzbo58 Bassist for The Patrick Godbey Band Supporting Member

I would love to have a 301 bottom for my 370 head! I use my Acoustic with my dually 2x15 cab and it's a monster! More volume than I'll ever need.

Cheers,
    Jim
  8. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Nice bass....I guess they forgot to glue that one part?:D
  9. Marial

Marial Proud Papa Supporting Member

Hard to imagine anything stacking up against a 360/361. It's the best sounding bass rig I've ever heard, and I love my Ampegs and Ashdown. The only reason I haven't hunted one down is that they're utterly impractical.
  10. jungleheat

jungleheat

I love Trace stuff and own a bunch of it and also have an Acoustic 106 cab that's pretty cool. Never had a chance to use the heads but I'd like to get one at some point.

I get the feeling Trace and Acoustic share some similar qualities with that great solid state punchy sound to them. I grew up on great SS hi-fi stereo stuff (McIntosh, etc...) so it's a sound I really like. The Trace stuff obviously is going to have some more modern features (compressor, effects loop, stuff like that), but I think tonally they are more or less in the same family probably with SWR and GK as well.
  11. sturoc

sturoc

Forget about if it will fit in your mini cooper or VW van
    Forget about options like f/x loop compressor etc..
    and forget about wattage comparisons.

Purely for Sound /Tone...
    In the end that's what its all about anyway.
  12. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Well i love my acoustic and love me fender bass.

But that was a newer american jazz and i never really liked it.

Was a good show, but a bad bass. So i gave the people their moneys worth and smashed the #### out of that thing.

anyhoo

I guess a 370 is about 200 watts or so.
    Maybe not enough for some. I just turn it almost all the way up
    and i have not looked for a distortion pedal since.
    I kick on the muff to #### people off...lol

oh wait wut were we talking about...?
  13. chadds

chadds

I had one and I did drown out two full Marshall stacks and two drummers. Just turned it up to 8.
    It would have been better with a Marshall 4x12 coming out of the crossed over output because u really have nothing present on stage.
  14. Bassmec

Bassmec

Disclosures:
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    I think the most impressive bit of old Acoustic gear there was, was the old 408 4X15 it was blisteringly efficient and could knock the place down with a couple of hundred watts, but like you say there wasn't much midrange dispersion but I fixed that by going active with some JBL 12" and 2" horns for that bit.
    [​IMG]
    The 408 rig still gets used every day for triggered kick drum monitoring in my rehearsal facility, they are the original alnico speakers and its louder very clean than anybody really wants, thank god I don't have to move it anymore.:bassist:
    PS I know I should stack the two by twelve and horns vertical for best dispersion but I don't have the ceiling height where it is now.
  15. Marial

Marial Proud Papa Supporting Member

HOLY ****! :)
  16. billgoodwin

billgoodwin

have done some benefit gigs lately where multiple bands played,all other bass players were using newer Ampeg, G-K,Markbass, Fender, etc mostly the lightweight -hi powered stuff and I always...always have guys come up and ask about my vintage Acoustic 150 / 106 rig. When they ask how many watts it is and I tell them it's rated at 125w.....one can see the tears well up or most don't believe me until I have to show them the tag. Then when I tell them I usually only run the volume no more than 1 1/2 -1 3/4....tears come again.

Acoustic - the Mother of Amps.
  17. Lee Bruton

Lee Bruton Guest

Loved my old 150
  18. sturoc

sturoc

One band I rehearse with was shocked when they saw that the vol knob on my 150B was at 2 !
    they were still saying "can ya turn down alittle?" Lol !!
    I replied " Don't have much left to turn down to !"
  19. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited

If their 3-piece bodies are coming apart at the seams they need to be smashed.:p

And yup, one thing old Acoustics did well was give a great gnarly distortion....on top of all the other things they did well.
  20. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

I don't even consider any other options - see my signature.
  21. billgoodwin

billgoodwin

+1