Stage presence?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Metalbasspro, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

2. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Jay died a couple of years back from a drug overdose. He wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but standing still on stage would not look better than his performances. He put out his first album when he was still in his teens and was incredibly prolific. Just check out his discography on wikipedia.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jay_Reatard

3. El Raro

El Raro

I'd prefer wiggling and giggling over standing still ten times out of ten. Nothing disappoints me more than seeing a rock n roll band stand rigid on stage. A live is show is both an aural AND visual spectacle, IMO. The wilder the better.

4. Garyth

Garyth Now What ..? Supporting Member

to me, presence has nothing to do with being still or moving. Body language, aura, call it what you want but that defines it more. Sometimes it's lost in a video, for the greats it didn't matter.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Spaldo

Spaldo

+1

Shoegazing sh**s me :smug:

7. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Sometimes yes, sometimes no on the movement. Mostly it's looking like you belong there. Project confidence. Look at people. Play to them. Movements, gestures, expressions, etc. need to be appropriate for the song.

8. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

I did not know he was dead. First I heard of that band was today on a local FB page for musicians. I did not want to make this about one bass player, the "act" is seen with many bass players. It looks un structured however if the music makes him move that way and it's "Honest" more power to him.

Ian Hill of JP had a reputation for just standing in one place, he moves but on one place, but I think it looks better then the wiggly giggly thing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1rMDF8K00M

I guess I opened this discussion cause I am trying to make it back to the stage and lets just say I've lost the rock star look of my 20's and don't know if the old metal way of doing things will work with an image that is more or less regular Joe.

9. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    The video is ridiculous. The movements looked forced rather than natural. Standing still worked just fine for people like John Entwistle, John Paul Jones, Brad Whitford and many others. Its the music that counts. I would rather see a great sounding band that stands still than a bad band that jumps around.

10. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

The music comes first for sure, but...it's also about putting on a show that is appropriate to the kind of audience you want to entertain. Every genre of music contains a measure of performance, even the most cerebral classical or jazz stuff.

My band are pretty good musically, but we looked at some live videos where we sound great; but have all the stage presence of dead fish. So we decided to try moving around a bit more. It felt very self-concious, awkward and clunky at first, but the more often we ham it up with the rock god poses, the more natural it feels.

In truth we're still pretty crappy at it, but it works well more often than not. The audience certainly respond well now that we've injected more enthusiasm and that is infectious, because their enthusiasm encourages us to do more. Are we as 'note perfect' as when we stood still gazing at the frets, no, but the difference is only maybe an additional one or two mistakes per set and that's a small price to pay for a show that is substantially better overall.

Alice Cooper was asked to give some advice to young bands and he said "don't be ordinary". The moment that you decide to get up on stage, or step over that line of duct tape on the floor, whatever size of gig, YOU have chosen to put yourself out there and your job is no longer to blend in with the audience, you've made a statement that you are there to entertain.

11. lbbc

lbbc Supporting Member

My band has been playing for 14 years and we were just videoed for the first time. I never realized that everyone stood still except me....I was all over the place...playing and joking beside the guitarist, keyboardist and up on the drummer's platform. It happened to be at a national event. When we looked at the video, the band said "yeah, you always do that....that's why people come to see us". Still wondering why they don't move (except the drummer, of course)

12. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

the only way to not have stage presence is to not actually be there, what you do when your up there is up to you

13. GIBrat51

GIBrat51

For me, "stage presence" is best described by this: Dion Dimucci, asked about Buddy Holly in an interview, said, "When Buddy came out on stage, it was like, 'OK, opening acts are over; now it's time for the REAL show'. And he was right." A person who has it makes you feel that he owns the stage, and you best pay attention.

14. Major Softie

Major Softie

Only when you're listening to a recording. A live performance is both a visual and auditory experience. Otherwise, there's no point in not just listening to a recording.

15. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Supporting Member

Nah ... I listened to the words "my shadow" repeated about 20 times while the bass pounded out eighth note roots ... the song needs something ... anything!