Stagg BC300 fretless???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jonners98, Feb 7, 2014.

1. jonners98

jonners98

im getting a fretless as my next purchase, and i have found a bass that suits my needs, its a stagg bc300 fretless.
    ive chosen it because of the p/j configuration really, but i was wondering if anyone had experience with one of these? i would probably swap out the pickups, tuners and bridge at some point if i got one, but is it still worth it????

2. P Town

P Town Guest

Interesting that you bring this up. The local vintage guitar shop I frequent recently bought out the entire inventory of another long time independent shop that closed after the death of the owner. I had been toying with the idea of trying a fretless myself. I usually don't buy low end instruments, but when I found the bass you are considering hanging on the wall among the very expensive vintage instruments, I bought it as an impulse purchase. I requested that they have one of their luthiers go over it before I purchased it, and when I returned to pick it up the report from the tech was that he felt there was not much left on the truss rod. I thought that was odd for a new, old stock instrument, but used that statement as a bargaining point, and bought the bass for the grand sum of $89.00.

To make it playable, I had to add a very thick spacer under the neck, and that made a great improvement, but I have found a manufacturing defect in the finger board. At the second position of the fingerboard, there is a slight hump, that causes the b on the a string, and the e on d string to buzz. I plan to sand down the undulation in the finger board to rectify the problem. When I attempted to remove the truss rod nut, I found that it became tight, as I was loosening it, like it was a double acting type, (which I doubt it is). I will look into that, (maybe) later. The tuners are small guitar size, and at least one has some slop in it as I turn the key. Over all, mine is just barely worth the 89 dollars I paid for it. It is small, and light, and for farting around at home, the pickups work well enough. I hope to fix the unevenly shaped neck, and will probably have to increase the thickness of the spacer under the neck, to make this thing a player. I will never upgrade the electronics, because this instrument will never be worth it.

If you can get a better example than mine for around $100.00, you would be doing OK.