1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Stagg Jazz Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jaymeister99, Oct 13, 2005.

1. jaymeister99

jaymeister99

Anybody tried these? I was hoping to get a Jazz nockoff to try out and happened to see one of these hanging in the local shop, didnt have time to try it out.

Its $179.95. Granted not expecting any great sounds out of it, but since im lefty its tough to come across anything in the local store! curious about any opinions here before I head back to try it out.
  2. superbassman2000

superbassman2000

i'd check out the SX jazzes first (www.rondomusic.com)...the only stagg i'd get is that jag-shaped one!
  3. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Yeah, that Stagg jag (god help me for rhyming like that) is really cool-lookin.
  4. jaymeister99

jaymeister99

If I could buy a SX I would. They dont have lefty Jazz basses, unless I want a short neck or fretless. Anybody tried out the Stagg?
  5. bassybill

bassybill The smooth moderator... Supporting Member

I have a Stagg Stingray copy that I bought for £150 last year as a beater - I mainly wanted it for occasions when I need to leave a bass in the car all day when going straight to a gig after my day job. It's fine, sounds really good, HEAVY bottom end which I like. Action, fit and finish aren't on a par with my other basses, but it's playable enough and seems to be built very solidly. I've used it on gigs and rehearsals and nobody could have said it didn't do the job well. I can recommend Stagg stuff based on this, no problem - if you can try it and you like the feel/sound for the price, go for it.
  6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    I guess you didn't look too hard! :eyebrow:
  7. jaymeister99

jaymeister99

Actually you didnt look too hard. Let me adjust that statement slightly. they dont have any lefty Jazz basses unless I want a short scale, fretless, or old crappy style with ashtrays. Or a whole starter package.
  8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Oh well.
  9. superbassman2000

superbassman2000

What about this one?

heck the whole package for 140...not bad at all...still less than the stagg and i daresay better quality...plus you can just sell the amp if you don't want it...
  10. Skit1

Skit1 Guest

Im not sure about your particular model, But I picked up a cheap second hand Stagg BX to use as a backup for gigging.

It does the job just fine and sounds pretty good for the price (£50 :p ) I wouldnt reccommend it for recording as its tone isnt anything spectacular, But for live gigs it works a treat :D
  11. jaymeister99

jaymeister99

Yea, I thought about doing that. I dont know, I really like to try out a bass before buying. I have that opportunity with the Stagg. I used to play righty, had loads of choices then. I could walk into a local shop and try a dozen different basses. Now playing lefty, Im lucky if I can find one bass to play at the shop. With the Stagg I have that, another $30 more than I will pay for the SX. But again I get to see and play before buying.

SX has a 30 day trial period when you buy. But I would rather try it out first and know what Im getting. Leaning towards the Stagg. But I may have a big commission coming in next week. If I do, screw the Stagg and the SX, Im going Fender!
  12. MMFender

MMFender

i got Marcus Miller signature Fender 4 string
    5 string CORT GB75
    both natural (swamp ash) finish
    I am happy with those basses but
    i desperately want a sunburst relic looking fender bass.
    i cant find it where i live. (Turkey)
    So 1- is it better to change the finish of my japanese marcus miller signature fender bass ?
    2- or is it better to buy an SX brand vintage modeled bass ?
  13. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

NEVER BUY STAGG

Seriously, they're are superior crap.
  14. superbassman2000

superbassman2000

i understand about the try before you buy, but from my experiances with stagg and SX, you'd have a better chance taking the shot in the dark imo
  15. jaymeister99

jaymeister99

Decided Im going to wait it out and see if I get the big commission next week. Im 90% sure on it. If I do, then its a MIM Fender Jazz. None of this SX or Stagg stuff!

I know, I know! The SX is just as good. Ive read the 4 pages of posts on the Fender vs. SX. I still think the MIM Fender is better IMO!
  16. bassybill

bassybill The smooth moderator... Supporting Member

...even if you find one that you love the sound, feel and look of, at a very good price?

Come on, man, this sort of post is completely unhelpful, misleading and only serves to make sensible people annoyed, cause anxiety in prospective buyers and damage a company's reputation without any apparent justification (at least, none is apparent from your post).

I f you have any experience, bad or good, with the basses in question, then share them. But please spare us this sort of sweeping generalisation - how's anybody supposed to come to an informed opinion from what you've said? Using big red letters doesn't make you profound. :scowl:
  17. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV

18. Metania

Metania

Good Lord! Go sell your MM and buy a "reliced"scooter instead please!