Stainless Steel frets

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MarshallNole, Feb 7, 2014.

1. MarshallNole

MarshallNole Supporting Member

What are your thoughts on stainless steel frets? Yay or nay?

2. jonmerickson

jonmerickson

Love them. May never have to re-fret (stainless frets are super hard) and they have stayed nice and polished. Also, nice and slick for easier bending.

3. GIBrat51

GIBrat51

Honestly, I don't have any experience with them. It's a subject that's come up here before, and will again, I'm sure. As with anything, some TBers think SS frets are the cat's ass; some think they're God's curse on mankind. IME, luthiers don't like to install them, 'cause they're hard to work with, and supposedly too hard on their tools. I tried to have them put on an old Rickenbacker 330 guitar a while back (the tiny original frets are a bad joke, and these were just shot), but the luthier whined like a little kid about it, and wanted $500 to do it, vs. $300 for 'normal' frets. Since it won't get played enough to justify the cost, I let him put regular medium-jumbos on it. They were a huge improvement, anyway. I guess my answer would be that, IMO, they are probably a good idea, if you play hard; play a lot; and use roundwounds. ;)

4. line6man

line6man

They are wonderful. All fretted instruments should have them.

5. Register to disable this ad