1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Stand for gigs

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by annvald, Jan 9, 2014.

1. annvald

annvald

Hello,
    please suggest good double bass stand for use at home and at stage.

2. DoubleMIDI

DoubleMIDI

The most stable one I found is the Hercules, but only works if the endpin is almost completely in (which is the case for my 4/4 bass and me not being large).
    The rubber foam might need to be replaced after some years which might cost some money.
    No problem yet after two years having mine.

Otherwise the older (endpin plate) and newer (endpin triangle) K&M stands are good and easier to transport than the Hercules and take up less room.
    They just don't work with my endpin rubber disk ... (STA-pinrest)

3. misterbadger

misterbadger Supporting Member

The Ingles stand works well for me, though it's bulky even when collapsed. Fine for the price.

4. cultrvultr

cultrvultr

Love the K&M. It seems to be the only bass stand that folds up for easier transport to the gig.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. misterbadger

misterbadger Supporting Member

That K&M is a slick design! I can see where my next discretionary $100 is going...

7. flatback

flatback

My favorite stand is the RAT stand Jazz. I have had it for years, it folds flat fits in my bass bag it had a big wide platform,pencil ledge, has a cantilevered design and is made so well that it never breaks...
    oops i thought you meant music stand...

8. annvald

annvald

9. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

The last thing I would want is to make it easier for a drunk to knock over my bass. I lay mine on the floor.

10. DC Bass

DC Bass Supporting Member

I like the look of that stand! I know it was technically OT, but I appreciate it!

Joe

11. martin durkin

martin durkin

K&M bass stand. Really solid design and collapses well. Even with endpin extended, it would take a decent shove to knock it over. I'm happy leaving my bass on it! I did have concerns at first about the cup the endpin goes into coming detached, but there are two good rivets holding the cup, so if one went, the other is still in place. I would buy another one of these if I needed to replace it!

12. cultrvultr

cultrvultr

The other great thing about the K&M is that is collapses so easily. I've been using a skateboard backpack to carry all my cables and preamp inside and then strap the stand into the outside using the skateboard straps. It's been working really well and leaving my hands free for the bass.

13. punkjazzben

punkjazzben Supporting Member

+1

I've found something better, though - my 4x10 is just the right height to securely lean the bass against. That said, a stand for around the house and at more civilised venues and rehearsals would be useful. Until then:

[​IMG]

14. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

+1. My bass sits nicely in my Hercules with the endpin extended for play. It's not a small bass either. The Hercules is the most robust design I've seen. I've had no sign of the foam deteriorating. Depending on the venue and the path of the foot traffic, a drunk might be far more likely to knock your bass over if it's laying down than if it's sitting in a Hercules stand. Still, I rarely take the stand to gigs. I use it at home backed into a corner.
    [​IMG]

15. DoubleMIDI

DoubleMIDI

The K&M probably work the same way in twenty years as now. I'm not sure the Hercules rubber foam holds firmly as long (can't wait 20 years to check it out...).

I once used the Hercules in a church with a lot of space left. Great presentation of the instrument, but needs a lot of space on the stage compared to the K&M.
    I wouldn't be able to use this in the big band with almost no space at all beyond the instrument(s) itself for changing between EBG and DB (more a theoretical thing, since I seldom play EBG there, even for the rock and funky stuff).

My endpin is a bit longer because of the STA-SET pinrest, but since I'm rather short and the bass rather large I don't pull out the endpin at all when standing.
    Something between 15 to 20 cm endpin extension should be possible with the Hercules, I think.
    I'm not sure if it will work with an angled (Laborie) endpin.

16. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

The K&M looks quite flimsy compared to the Hercules. Indeed, the Hercules takes up a bit of real-estate but if I'm going to use a stand, then I want one that's very stable. The Hercules sure is. If the foam wore out after 20 years on the Hercules, I'd consider myself well-served and replace the foam or just buy another whole stand. IMO, it's that good. Sure, if you really need a stand and space is very limited, then you gotta compromise.