Standard Fender Jazz Bass pickup wiring

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jazzonlyjazz, Aug 9, 2013.

1. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

So I am planing to upgrade to some Dimarzio DP149 Ultra Jazz pickups and opened the electronic cavity to educate myself on what wire goes with what and stuff. I looked inside and boy, was I mindblown.

The only thing I figured out is that the white wiring ensures all the pickups and the tone work together in harmony.

Here's a picture on my Twitter account.

Questions: What is the yellow wiring and the black wiring on the two pickups?

What's the top thing that's been soldered on? What's the orangey circle thing that's soldered on the top of the tone pot?

Thanks a bunch!!!

https://twitter.com/bittervictories/status/366005526083014656/photo/1

IDK if it'll work or not; Let me know if it doesn't and I'll figure out some other way
  2. ncapone

ncapone

The yellow pickup wire is hot and the black pickup wire is ground. The little orange thing on top of the tone control is the capacitor; they are generally (but not always) valued at .047uf for basses.
  3. ncapone

ncapone

Do you have any experience in soldering? If so the pickup swap should be pretty easy.

You take the hot lead (usually white or yellow depending on the brand) and solder it into the middle lug of each respective pot, and the grounds are soldered to the back of each respective pot as well.
  4. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

I had some experience in middle school technology education class, but those were simple wirings....and if I messed up, I could always start new but this is a $500 bass we're talking about...

You're going to have to explain to me what "hot" and "ground" means in the tech world..sorry...I am completely new at this.
  7. ncapone

ncapone

Hot is the active channel through which the sound comes from. Ground completes the circle of electricity so that you don't run the risk of interference.
  8. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

Ahhh okay. Does the amount of solder applies affect the sound at all or is that just some bogus myth I've been hearing?
  9. ncapone

ncapone

It's a bogus myth. I've never heard of such a thing. But if it were true, all the accidental extra solder I use would give me the best tone in the world.
  10. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

Oh man, this is gonna be nerve wracking. I don't even have a solder machine and I hate having to cough up like $30 to someone to do it for me when it seems so simple (for experienced people anyways). I'll see what I can do

Thanks for your valuable input! I am now 1.5x smarter in the world of tech!
  11. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

it'll have to be one or the other; there's no other way than soldering if you want it to work right and be reliable.
  12. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

Hahahaha I know soldering is the only solution. I wonder how much solder machines cost...
  13. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

look up "soldering iron", that's what they're called.

the weller WP35 is a good one for home use and it's like $50.