Standard Jazz or FSR Ash body

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rydin4lifebass, Jan 6, 2014.

1. rydin4lifebass

rydin4lifebass

I suppose the good ole GAS is setting in and I was pretty much set on picking up a Fender Standard Jazz Bass from Musician’s Friend. THEN I saw the FSR Jazz for $100 less and really like the look of the wood grain finish combined with the tort pick guard. I know the bodies are different wood and the headstock logos are different but I’m questioning the real reason for the difference in price. It’s my understanding from a few TBers that the electronics are the same but what differences in tone are there between the two? Am I really getting the same bass with just a different finish or is the $100 drop in price a $100 drop in tone/sound from the traditional jazz sound?

2. garp

garp

IMO, Fender didn’t cut any corners on this FSR Jazz. The difference in price can be partially attributed to Bain Capital’s buying power. But if you have any doubts, simply A/B them at your local GC.

(In the interest of full disclosure, I own a Standard Jazz, but don’t own an FSR Jazz.)

3. rydin4lifebass

rydin4lifebass

Thanks garp. I did chat with someone at Musicians Friend and they confirmed that aside from the body wood and headstock logo, all electronics and hardware are the same as the MIM and that the price is largely due to their purchase "deal" between companies. This will be my first jazz bass so I think it's a great one to get started with.

4. Tbone76

Tbone76

I've had both a MIM standard jazz and currently own the FSR. The quality and sound was comparable between the two an the necks felt the same, but I like the look of the FSR better. It's also cheaper, so imo the choice comes down to the look. If you dig the 70's natural finish vibe, go for the FSR. if you want current finish options, then go with the MIM standard.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Lownote38

Lownote38

FSR. Had one and loved it, but it was stolen. I definitely liked it better than the regular standard Jazz basses.

7. spanndrew

spanndrew

Just bought an FSR, I love it. The only real difference between the two basses are the looks. Me personally, I prefer the natural look. So it was a no brainer.

8. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

... quite a few used ones of these around too ;)