1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Standard precision pup sound vs PJ setup

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheGreatSealof, Feb 10, 2013.

1. TheGreatSealof

TheGreatSealof Supporting Member

What is your opinion regarding a standard pbass vs. a pj setup? Sound? Tone? Versatility?
  2. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

I used both my MIA P today and my MIM rewired PJ with SD's into my Marshall VBA 400 over VBC 412 cab.
    Both guitar players using 50w Marshall stacks ans Les Pauls.

The P has Chromes and the PJ has D'Addario SS Half rounds.

The P was very uniform in volume and tone across the strings and the PJ a little grittier/growlier especially on the lower notes.

In the end I liked the P for faster playing where I thought the PJ would be better. For my ear, I felt the P was a little better overall and I have never really been a Fender player and especially the P. Tend to prefer the tone of a jazz which is why I added the stacked humbucker J pup to the MIM version.

I think the Fenders are better in my Hartke rigs which are cleaner although that is a bad description.

The Marshall shines with my Gibson, Warwick or Alembic basses.
  3. BrandonBass

BrandonBass Supporting Member

All things being equal, there is no reason why a P would be better than a PJ.

I still keep my P with a single pickup though, just for the sole reason that it looks more 'classic'
  4. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

All things are seldom equal, however. A whole lot of PJ basses have the P pickup in the "wrong" spot. Small deviations may not vary a whole lot, depends on the listener's tastes, but a lot of them have it pretty far off. I think that among current Fenders only those built on Precision bodies have the P pickup in the right spot. The rest have it anywhere from a little off to significantly off. Other brands also vary a lot. A second problem is that PJ basses generally have a third pot and that changes the electrical loading on the P pickup and changes the tone a bit.

If you are careful to buy a PJ with the correct pickup placement and are willing to modify the electronics (if needed) to give you just two pots in the P only mode you can certainly get an authentic P sound out of a PJ. And then you also have more tonal range when you use the J pickup.

Ken
  5. oldleftybass

oldleftybass

So where's the right spot?
  6. mystic38

mystic38

the spot where the Precision bass has the pickup... leo didnt put it there by accident methinks :)