1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Standard roundwounds for a Precision?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dalo320, Jan 16, 2014.

1. dalo320

dalo320 Supporting Member

I've got an interesting situation.

I'm playing bass for a sampling session. We've got most sounds covered and already recorded my P bass which I keep flatwounds on.

Now the producer wants me to put some rounds on it for a different sound. The cost of strings will be covered and I want the typical P bass with rounds sound. I'm curious if there is a standard.

My first thought is nickel rounds such as D'addarios or Ernie Balls. I'd like to hear other opinions though.

Thanks!

2. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

Which 'typical sound' are you after? A particular style of music? A particular bassist? Fingers, pick, slap?

3. pfox14

pfox14

Rotosound invented the round wound, so I recommend them.

4. dalo320

All of the above. We're tracking fingers, pick, slap, palm mute, hammer ons, etc.

Not trying to emulate any particular bass player. I am just curious if there is a particular set of strings that will best achieve a generic Precision with Rounds sound.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

For this application, I highly recommend Labella Deep Talkin rounds. They are stainless steel but are not brittle or harsh like some SS can be. They have a more broken in tone and feel to them, which is ideal for studio recording because you eliminate many of the bright overtones right off the bat. Also, they have been made the same way (multiple wraps over smaller core wire) since the late 60's or so. These will get you firmly into "classic Precision with rounds" territory. They are also less tense than Rotosounds but not floppy. When I think "vintage round", these are the strings that come to mind. They lack the scooped nature of some other rounds and have a strong fundamental, which is also a plus in the studio.

7. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

I'd be thinking maybe Rotosound 66 as the 'classic' roundwounds, but probably most steels would do the job.

8. dalo320

Thanks for the suggestions. This is really helpful.

9. zon6c-f

zon6c-f

I am certain that Rotosound 66 Swingbass is THE sound you are going for...whether played finger style or with pick.

10. billgwx

billgwx Supporting Member

GHS Boomers do it for me.

11. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Rotosound swingbass 66 RS66LD. It was all I ever put on my precisions and they sounded amazing.

12. Humbled

Humbled Supporting Member

Me too.

13. djasterix

djasterix

+1

14. kimokeo

kimokeo

+1 for the Rotosounds.

15. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I really like D'Addario on my P basses.